Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily this happened today at home. Shut down the bike and pulled the key out as usual. The key will not go back in the switch, it is stuck in the lock position. Has this happened to anyone else? Before I tear it out, just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.
This has been the only issue I have had in 29,000 miles (I am not counting the fuel gauge...)

Maybe I will go keyless.

Thanks. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
This happened to me,but with the key in the nuetral position. Would not turn on, sprayed some WD-40 in the lock when I finally did get home, perfect ever since, not sure if that is good or bad.

·
Noel
4,694 Posts
I've had my key stick in the ON & neutral position too, jiggle the crap out of it to get it to return to the remove key position.

As far as your situation......????.....you're saying you got the key out while it was still in the neutral or On position, did you bend the tab at the end of the barrel key?

I have heard of folks trimming the tit off the so that they can switch on the bike then pocket the key rather than letting it dangle while in the run position, you might consider doing this so that you can re-insert it then jiggle/turn it the RUN or OFF positions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. Tried contact cleaner and WD40, no go. I will look at the key to see if that tab is bent. The key will not push all the way into the ignition to be able to turn it. Somethin is F'd.

Glad it didn't happen on the way to Sturgis. I will try gentle tapping, if no go its coming out.

Nothing worse that having to drive the car....

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
I had a similar situation in the middle of Wyoming on my way to Sturgis in 2007.

If you relocated the switch to the top of the cylinder head for the UE tank install, I think the vibration destroys the guts of the ignition switch.

If you can get the switch turned on, a temporary solution is to leave the switch 'on' and turn the bike on and off by pulling the "Maxi-Fuse"

The Keyless Mod works great and is the best solution for this situation.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had the problem twice. the first time I used WD40 and it worked for about 2 weeks and happened again, I bought graphite lock lube spray and haven't had the problem since. Now I lube it every oil change and working on 2 years with no problems.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I had a similar situation in the middle of Wyoming on my way to Sturgis in 2007.

If you relocated the switch to the top of the cylinder head for the UE tank install, I think the vibration destroys the guts of the ignition switch.

If you can get the switch turned on, a temporary solution is to leave the switch 'on' and turn the bike on and off by pulling the "Maxi-Fuse"

I've had mine there for over thirty thousand miles with no problems. Yet, anyway. These switches can be problems all by themselves. Routine maintenance seems to be the key. (No pun intended.)

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Make sure that there is nothing stuck in the barrel of the key. I lubed my ignition with ''Break Free" gun lube. No more sticking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

You are probably right on the vibration issue. Thanks for the heads up. I disassembled the ignition all the way down to the barrel and it is still stuck. I ordered the part from HD. In the mean time I start the bike by using a three prong wire lead I made and connect all the right wires.

I have had the lint problem in the past.

Thanks for everyones responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.