Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install my new ignition up front and I was wondering what size wire most people used? I searched the form, some people use #12 and some use 10 or 14 or a combination. Should I use wire the same size as stock or should I go bigger due to the added distance?

Thanks Mike
04 B

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
I plan to use 10 on mine.
I don't think the increased distance is too big of a deal, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.
-My parts just shipped from Zanotti's today :)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
954rrmike said:
I am about to install my new ignition up front and I was wondering what size wire most people used? I searched the form, some people use #12 and some use 10 or 14 or a combination. Should I use wire the same size as stock or should I go bigger due to the added distance?

Thanks Mike
04 B
Mike,

Matching the wire is the best bet. The red with black and red with grey are both 14 guage. The Red wire is 12 guage. If you use 12 guage for all of them, you'll be pretty safe. I took alot of time measuring the draw on those three wires, for some strange reason, this summer.

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
Mike,
Never mind what I said, rj knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.
I'll probably use 12 now too.

BTW rj, thanks for the tip on the Toyota PCV grommet too. It fits like a glove.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Be sure to protect where the wires pass under the battery box. I put mine is double shrink wrap. One of those mini butane soldering torches is a great investment.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I think I'll go with 12 for all three.

Mike

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Isn't this forum great? Ask a question (just about any question) and SOMEBODY knows the answer! :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts