Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this happen? Sometimes the (RED key light) on my dash comes on and then goes out. What is happening?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The red key light is the "Security System" indicator light. When I initially turn on the ignition the security system indicator light comes on for about 5 seconds and then goes out.

Per the owners manual (03 - A) "The red SECURITY STATUS indicator lamp indicates the status of the vehicle's security system. It is normal for this to light with or without a security system."

The only other time my indicator light goes on is when I have the security system armed. When unarmed the light stays off, except for when I described above when initially turning on the ignition.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
harleymon55 said:
Has anyone had this happen? Sometimes the (RED key light) on my dash comes on and then goes out. What is happening?
It is normal for this to light up when you turn the bike on, before you start the bike. If this icon lights up while the bike is running, and then goes out again, it represents a historic code. You can look in the technical section of this forum to find out how to retreive the codes, and what the codes mean. You will also find info on how to clear these codes.

Best of luck.

RJ

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
I had this happen when I changed to aftermarket front indicators.
Seems I had not located the earth wire well enough.
Could be a good idea to check for dislodged/dirty indicator connectors under the left front panel or chaffed wires.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
There seems to be a trivial software bug that causes this to come on if you coast with the clutch in for a significant period. If that's it, you can ignore it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts