Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered from Zanotti's HD a new ignition switch and they wrote me for the key #.
Where can i find that?
and what is it

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Mine were on little black plastic tags (3/4"x1/4") attached to the key rings with the keys. The key numbers are four digits followed by HD, i.e., xxxxHD. My guess is that if you don't have that tag it's on the lock body somewhere that's not visible when it's installed.

I would have thought that a new switch would come with new keys, but what do I know?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
:them:

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Why do you need a new lock?
Mine was getting stiff and tough to work, thinking I needed a replacement soon I tried a shot of graphite dust just to get by. Works like new now, just wanted some lube.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Power surge? Do you have more details?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i turn the key, the bike goes on for an instant more, no codes are thrown, so i figure its the switch,
I hope

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Have you removed the switch and tried cleaning it?

Turned off, but then you get an instant of power when trying to lock it, sounds like something making momentary contact so you may have conductive grit (metal shaving or dust from wear) making the bridge.

Can you duplicate at will? What happens when you wiggle (partially turn) the switch?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i removed and cleaned the switch, i cant seem to duplicate the surge, only on occasion.
i am not sure the switch is the problem, hope so.
them electronic demons are hell to find

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you want to test a different switch, PM me your address and I'll send the one from the project bike. The bike is far from being on the road so it doesn't need a switch.

It is an R switch,(70020-05), but maybe you can mount it well enough for testing. I'll send the switch, key and neck lock if you want it so you don't have to fumble with two keys.

Just let me know if you want to try this instead of wasting $100 for a new switch that may not fix your problem.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks, if i wasn't on the other side of the world, I'd take your offer.

found the switch from zanotti's hd, 52 bucks

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
system relay sticking

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oopps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts