Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I havent ridden the bike in nearly two months. I was in Colorado for some high altitude training, and then had to go to a school for 15 days. Long story short, I havent had the time to ride. Ill try to be as descriptive as I can be in giving the symptoms and all the surrounding conditions.

I wanted to washt he bike, so i cranked it, and backed it out of my garage. Its approx 75 degrees out, maybe approaching 80. She cranks fine, idles fine, etc. No issues at all. There is approx 1/4 tank of fuel.
I wash the bike, crank her to let her run, and she runs good for about 15-20 seconds, then the idle takes a crap. I mean a big one. Not a miss, but a complete stumble, then the bike's rpms drop and it sounds like it runs on one cylinder. Stalls. I crank it back up, and this time it will idle but it keep bouncing from crappy idle, approx 1000 to good idle, near 2k. My bike normally idles around 1100 when warming up but very smooth. The idle is erratic, going from terrible to normal and back to terrible. Mind you, im not giving any throttle input yet. Im just watching it.

So i start trying to give it a little throttle. Sometimes, a little throttle can work wonders, but this time, it doesnt do much, but cause it to rev really weak, missing badly, then catch it self and shoot to about 4k. Like I said, erratic.

So i take it for a ride, im thinking maybe it needs some gas in it. I get to the gas station. On the way there, it rides GREAT as long as im in the gas, but the second i have to slow down to stop, it dies on me.

I just went out and pulled the trouble codes, and got nothing. No P, S, or C codes. I was expecting codes for a misfire, or no combustion on cyl 1 or 2. I get nothing. Which makes me even more confused.

I adjusted the fuelr a bit to see if there would be any noticeable changes. I got nothing. No changes I made did anything at all. The only difference i noticed was if i pulled all the fuel out at idle, then it would idle down even lower, but that only makes sense.
I have an 02, and its got about 10k on it. I plan on replacing the coil, the plugs, and the system relay just to be safe. I also want to check the IAC. I plan on spraying some carb cleaner in it while running to see if it could be the culprit(sticking).
If those things fail, are there any other suggestions?

Im not a bike Guru, but im a mechanic by trade (helo's) so i can bend a wrench, I just need a little troubleshooting assistance/guidance. I dont want to deploy again with this thing not running right...:banghead:

Thanks,

-Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm by no means a bike mechanic but I have a 1999 ford mustang that would do the same thing (even stall when trying to idle) but would run fine down the road. Problem was IAC.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I would pull the maxi fuse (located behind the right side louvered cover in front of the air box) and allow the ECM to get a hard reset. I would then check all the grounds. Then I would try to start it (make sure you are not touching the throttle when starting because this can throw off the IAC and cause erratic idle). If you cycle the key switch and ignition button a few time it should reset the IAC to it's home position. IMHO it sounds like something got wet when you washed it and is causing the erratic idle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would pull the maxi fuse (located behind the right side louvered cover in front of the air box) and allow the ECM to get a hard reset. I would then check all the grounds. Then I would try to start it (make sure you are not touching the throttle when starting because this can throw off the IAC and cause erratic idle). If you cycle the key switch and ignition button a few time it should reset the IAC to it's home position. IMHO it sounds like something got wet when you washed it and is causing the erratic idle.
Thats what i thought too. Its the most logical assumption. But it didnt drenched the bike, just used s100 and the rinsed, dried, and polished. Water shouldnt have been forced into anything. Ill reset the maxi fuse though.

Its late and my neighbors would flip the heck out if i cranked this sucker up right now...ill have to wait till morning.

BTW--ill have to search for the location of the maxi fuse. Will that reset my pcIII too?

Any other suggestions, please dont hesitate. Ill try them all one by one
:moped:

-Josh

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
like already mentioned...either moisture somewhere,, or bad fueler/wet fueler,, or grounds and or bad battery connections....check these first

·
Registered
605 Posts
dry out the PC connections and apply some dielectric grease (from auto parts store) to the connections. PC's are notorious for acting up with moisture.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Ill do all of those things. Ill update later.

The fueler *should* be working, I played with it and was able to make changes without any issues. The PC on the other hand.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so i went out, and cranked the bike....i didn't do anything, just wanted to observe the problem again and see if there were any symptoms I missed. It fired right up with no issues.

The only thing I noticed is the exhaust smelled like the bike is running rich. I was just standing near the bike, and now I smell like exhaust 20 mins later, lol. Wife wont come near me :)

Still pisses me off. Intermittent stuff is the worst.

I need to go ride it....

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
the less fuel in the tank during storage the more condensation you will accumulate.

·
bcrichard
139 Posts
try cleaning the IAC, it can get gummed up from the blow by oil in the air box producing the same symptoms ( bike runs fine but stalls at idle). Check IAC threads on the forum

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I planned to check to iac. Also I want to look more into the fuel tank issue. I want to look in there and do some inspecting. I want to check the sock and clean any gunk. Check the fuel flange etc. I can get the damn screw on cap off though. Sheesh.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I think that you're going too deep.

You washed it.

It doesn't run well.

You got something wet. Dry it out.
:them: Powercommanders don't like getting wet

·
Premium Member
11,370 Posts
You have a 2002 which means your power commander is located in the front of the bike. This area is prone to water problems and the PC connector to the ECM corrodes and the connectors get rusty. Remove the Power commander and inspect the pins and sockets carefully for damage. Apply Dielectric grease to all connectors and maybe electrical tape to the PC to ECM connectors to repel water in the future.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Ill look over the PC connectors and use some dielec grease on them. Im not sure if ill tape them, but ill come up with something. I think may have some stuff around the hangar that might help.

It ran ok today, wanted to bog and miss if i went about 60-70 percent throttle at around 3k-3500. but on the way home this evening, it ran like a top.

I think im gonna check out the PC connections, and maybe take it in for a dyno tune.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts