Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Harley Vrod Muscle - 2,999 miles, K$N air filter, Vance and Hines Competition pipes, TTS Mastertune - When the bike is cold after sitting for a few hours,the bike idle surges for the first 5 minutes when starting. Then, when taking off, it feels like its misfiring somewhat sputters. This is embarrasing if you stop somewhere with your buddies and take off. This continues until the bike is fully warmed up. The other issue is that after riding, especially when on the throttle it is noted the bike leaves black exhaust on my rear wheel. Any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With black exhaust usually means it is running too rich. I had the same problem with a car, leaned it out and runs great.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
2016 Harley Vrod Muscle - 2,999 miles, K$N air filter, Vance and Hines Competition pipes, TTS Mastertune - When the bike is cold after sitting for a few hours,the bike idle surges for the first 5 minutes when starting. Then, when taking off, it feels like its misfiring somewhat sputters. This is embarrasing if you stop somewhere with your buddies and take off. This continues until the bike is fully warmed up. The other issue is that after riding, especially when on the throttle it is noted the bike leaves black exhaust on my rear wheel. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Did you vtune it or is it just running off of the crap base cal as is?
Ron

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
It sounds like just the cold start ( re-start ) of your tune is off . On my bike , it reverts back to this at each re-start , even if just stopping for gas . I have read on here , that you have to look for this area of your tune , a lot of tuners look past it . With my tune , the bike runs really well when cold , and at re-starts .
Mike

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
It sounds like just the cold start ( re-start ) of your tune is off . On my bike , it reverts back to this at each re-start , even if just stopping for gas . I have read on here , that you have to look for this area of your tune , a lot of tuners look past it . With my tune , the bike runs really well when cold , and at re-starts .
Mike
True, an area most tuners ignore. First, you need a good tune, then adjust the cold and hot areas of the Warmup Table for optimum.
Generally they are too rich cold and sometimes not rich enough hot. Yes, hot starts if bike has been sitting for 15 min-half hour needs more fuel if the IAT is heat soaked because it leans the mixture out and idle is lean and lopey, hunting rpms. Warm up table adjustment in the right temp fixes that. EFI quirk.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts