Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IDIOT!!! :slap:
I just got done putting a new clutch in my bike. Put the pipes on, fired it up, ready to ride. Started cleaning up the tools and found the oil retaining clip on the ground. :slap: :slap: :slap:
Question:
Will I wreck anything running without it?
What function does it serve? (I know - oil retention, but how and why?)
It doesn't hold anything mechanically in place, but there's a definate reason for it or it wouldn't be there, right?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You need the oil retention ring to keep the oil inside the wet clutch. You don't want to run it without, because you will dry out the clutch.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rjrivero said:
You need the oil retention ring to keep the oil inside the wet clutch. You don't want to run it without, because you will dry out the clutch.
Dammit RJ, I don't want to hear things like that!!! :mad:

stomper said:
Are you asking for a consensus or is that just a statement
No, it's a fact that has been proven many times over. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Pondo said:
No, it's a fact that has been proven many times over. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Now now, take it easy brother, anybody who makes all the cool little doo dads we all buy can't be an idiot.

I rebuilt a VW Bug transaxle and forgot a little C clip, I noticed it laying on the bench right as I getting ready to move it to the car. Needless to say I spent the next 6 hours breaking it back down and putting it all back to gether again. If we did it perfect everytime how boring would that be?

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
A few years (well, many years ago...) ago I rebuilt a Honda 750 four. New rings, etc. 11.00 pm, all finished, fired her up...and smoke blasted out of #3 cylinder.

For 3 of the cylinders, my rings were 120 degrees out, per spec. For #3, I had carefully lined up the ring gaps. Why? Damifiknow.

Live and learn. Part of the fun.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nic_a_bod said:
Why'd you ask then :stilpoke:

:hidesbeh:
I only hear what I want to hear. I know only what I've heard.
I thought I'd hear "It'll be fine" or "I removed mine 100,000 miles ago and it was fine". RJ popped my bubble, burst my baloon, adjusteded my reality. I'll be opening the bike up again tomorrow. No big deal. At least I'll be good at it next time.
I'm not going to mention that I assembled the clutch with the distance collar in backwards the first time and it took a good 10 minutes to figure out why the basket wouldn't go all the way back. Told you I was a bit "challenged."
The clutch hub holder I borrowed from RJ was something I couldn't have done the job without - THANKS RJ!!! - YOU FOCKING RULE MAN!!!
I took the bike around the block a few times and it felt great. I'll be putting that cursed ring in it in the morning. I also put the set of gutted 16 gage pipes on it and WOW - it sounds great! My neighbors are gong to have to live with it. I'll not be changing it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts