Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get out of Syn 3 and into a better motor oil.

AMSOIL + AMSOIL filter the way to go?

Ive also never done an oil change on my bike yet (dealer did the first service). What tools make the process smooth on an 09 DX?

:D

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Yep ! Amsoil all the way
All you need is a wrench to take the bottom radiator shroud mount loos to swing it away (forward) from the frame and a strong wrist (hopefully) to turn the oil filter off

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
basic tools is all you need but maybe buy a oil filter cap end socket. i got mine at HD for like 15$. it fits on the end of a rachet and fits the filter snug. but call Ken he can hook you up with amsoil.

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Not so sure 02man can ship to canada cheaper than i could buy it here. Im always down to support vrodders if he can tho. I will pick up a filter socket, good call.
make sure it will help you first, i have a 03 and it really helps but not sure on your DX.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was able to change my 09 DX oil and filter without loosening and moving the radiator shroud. I can see it would be easier if you did move it, though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Didn't move anything on my '08 D either. Just a strap wrench to loosen it up a bit.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The Amsoil filter requires a different socket, than HD, if you go that route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

not to jack Momma's thread, but l am a new owner of an '08 Anniv model, and just made the switch to Amsoil + filter. Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be an o-ring or any sort of washer on the drain plug itself? My ride has a little less than 3k on it, not 100% sure if oil was even changed yet, but l put plug back on as is, and have ridden 100 miles or so and no leaks or drips or anything, but it just seems not right that there isn't anything at all as far as some sort of gasket.
BTW, as stated above, all l needed was a 17mm for drain plug, and 13mm for 2 lower shroud bolts. Filter came off by hand easily enough.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
No O-ring or washer.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Amsoil 20w50 is the way to go!

I even run there oil in all my vehicles! Hit up Ken aka o2man98

·
Registered
340 Posts
Amsoil and their filter to your door.

Basic tools, you do need to remove the lower rad bolts so you can tilt out for filter access.

I also recommend this Ken guy here.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
+1 for Ken. Just got an order from him, he gave me a better price for buying 2 cases. I have enough for 4 oil changes + for about the same $ as trip to the stealership.
Nice guy and prompt delivery. If you are going to do your own maintenance pick up a service manual, best money you will ever spend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
How do I get in touch with ken to order some amsoil. I was a dealer years ago, but prefer to just buy it for the bike at this point....thanks

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
basic tools is all you need but maybe buy a oil filter cap end socket. i got mine at HD for like 15$. it fits on the end of a rachet and fits the filter snug. but call Ken he can hook you up with amsoil.
$15? Christ I brought the filter to Pep Boys and got one for $2.50. Mine doesn't have a funny little bar and shield though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an '07 X and I use standard H-D filter. I use an end filter wrench from Advance that was like 3 or 4 bucks. I've never taken the radiator loose to change mine. Also, as far as the o-ring on the plug goes, mine doesn't have an o-ring and never has but the repair manual says it does.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts