Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what temperature the IAT sensor throws the high-temp alert at? The past couple of rides home the sensor has been throwing the high-temp/open circuit alert. Its been around 113-115 with temps on the freeway around 118 - 121.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I think it's 220〫, and am just too lazy to go to the garage and pull out the paperwork

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Does anyone know what temperature the IAT sensor throws the high-temp alert at? The past couple of rides home the sensor has been throwing the high-temp/open circuit alert. Its been around 113-115 with temps on the freeway around 118 - 121.
I’ve never heard of an IAT (intake air temperature) high-temp alert.

The ECT will trigger a high-temp alert and illuminate an IM LED (thermometer in water icon) when the coolant reaches:
  1. 113 °C (235 °F) according to the 2002/2003 EDM
  2. 117 °C (243 °F) according to the 2005 EDM
  3. 110 °C (230 °F) according to the 2010 EDM

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve never heard of an IAT (intake air temperature) high-temp alert.

The ECT will trigger a high-temp alert and illuminate an IM LED (thermometer in water icon) when the coolant reaches:
  1. 113 °C (235 °F) according to the 2002/2003 EDM
  2. 117 °C (243 °F) according to the 2005 EDM
  3. 110 °C (230 °F) according to the 2010 EDM
The coolant is not the issue... check engine light comes on and the error code thrown is IAT sensor high-temp/open circuit.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
did you check the connection at the IAT sensor? A poor or dirty connection will set that code

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
The coolant is not the issue... check engine light comes on and the error code thrown is IAT sensor high-temp/open circuit.
I’m assuming you have the P0113 code set. This is “sensor open/high” not “sensor high-temp/open”. The "high" is in reference to the voltage not the temperature.

The most common reason for this code to be set is when the IAT sensor is disconnected. Another reason would be a broken IAT sensor.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m assuming you have the P0113 code set. This is “sensor open/high” not “sensor high-temp/open”. The "high" is in reference to the voltage not the temperature.

The most common reason for this code to be set is when the IAT sensor is disconnected. Another reason would be a broken IAT sensor.
I thought that too... except it will only trip when the temps are over 110... I think I'll just replace the sensor and see if that clears it up

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I thought that too... except it will only trip when the temps are over 110... I think I'll just replace the sensor and see if that clears it up
If you have an ohm meter you can test the sensor.

Connect the sensor to an ohm meter and heat it up with a hair dryer. The resistance should be around 2500 ohms at 70 °F and drop as the air temperature rises. If the sensor resistance goes above 50,000 ohms at any time during the test then it needs to be replaced.

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have an ohm meter you can test the sensor.

Connect the sensor to an ohm meter and heat it up with a hair dryer. The resistance should be around 2500 ohms at 70 °F and drop as the air temperature rises. If the sensor resistance goes above 50,000 ohms at any time during the test then it needs to be replaced.
Thank you! I'll test it tonight. I would have to put ice on the sensor to get it down to 70 degrees here right now! :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts