Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Brutal
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is my first ever post so please be gentle!
I’ve just purchased a new Trask turbo set up and I was inspecting all the components to see how it all fits together and I have a question about the IAC (idle air control) valve in the stock throttle bodies.
To my understanding, this valve opens up AT IDLE to allow air to be drawn into the cylinders bypassing the butterflies.
Am I right to assume that once I install the Trask plenum chamber, that the IAC valve will now draw air directly from the atmosphere (along with dirt, water and debris) where as before it was inside the original air filter box?
Has anyone come up with a solution to filter this air?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
:vrodforu: Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase of the Trask kit :cheers: I had the Trask kit and never did anything with the IAC. It is only open for a minimal amount of time. Some people have stuffed a piece of foam air cleaner material (similar to what you see on dirtbikes) in the area to keep debris out. I never did anything about it and never had a problem caused from it. Good luck with the install and enjoy the HP :kaz:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
Hey thanks for the pics, seems like I have a small mod to take care of :).

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Welcome to the tribe :)... Congrats on the turbo, you'll have fun :)... I installed mine without putting a filter over the air inlet to the IAC and had no problems... But, not a bad idea, can't hurt anything :)... Nice job on the filter :)... Now go grab some throttle and smoke that tire :)... What tuner are you going to run?

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I love it how you guys say "have had no problems"

Just because you engine has not blown does not mean there has been no damage.

"I run full throttle with no oil and have not had any problems...."

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts

Seriously man :wazzup: You are comparing apples to oranges. How much dangerous particulates do you really think can be sucked in through that 1/4" hole during warmup? Unless you live in the dessert or beach enviroment and start the bike during windstorms only I think he would be fine. If it was a problem I'm sure Nick would have done something about it by now or there would be more complaints/issues seen here. The IAC is open for probably less than a minute.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Seriously man :wazzup: You are comparing apples to oranges. How much dangerous particulates do you really think can be sucked in through that 1/4" hole during warmup? Unless you live in the dessert or beach enviroment and start the bike during windstorms only I think he would be fine. If it was a problem I'm sure Nick would have done something about it by now or there would be more complaints/issues seen here. The IAC is open for probably less than a minute.
:them: I would also think that if there were problems those of us that have the turbo installed would have mentioned it on this forum to help others... Has anyone had a problem without the filter? Just curious... I do like how he installed the filter, nice clean job...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts

Just curious, are you running a filter? If so, has it caused any problems with a "rich" condition at idle as the filter gets dirty? That's the only "problem" I can see but no big deal you just clean the filter every so often again, just curious...

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Just go ride the hell out of the bike.

·
Brutal
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here in Australia, Harley parts are very expensive so I try to look after what I’ve got. The bike cost me $29,000.00 AUD and the complete turbo + ECU package was another $8,000.00 AUD.
She has almost 30,000 k's (16,000 miles) on the clock I am also going to check all the valve clearances while I have the exhausts and injectors off.
I’ve purchased the Zippers Thundermax with self tuner and the 2 bar map sensor.
I have another question, where is the best place to mount the new 2 bar map sensor?

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Here in Australia, Harley parts are very expensive so I try to look after what I’ve got. The bike cost me $29,000.00 AUD and the complete turbo + ECU package was another $8,000.00 AUD.
She has almost 30,000 k's (16,000 miles) on the clock I am also going to check all the valve clearances while I have the exhausts and injectors off.
I’ve purchased the Zippers Thundermax with self tuner and the 2 bar map sensor.
I have another question, where is the best place to mount the new 2 bar map sensor?
When you take the stock airbox off and put the plenum on, you'll be able to see where you can hide the 2 bar map sensor... Not a lot of room once you have the Plenum on but there are places :)... Mine was pretty full, I had the Pingle EZ shift kit so I had to hide the modules there too... Goodluck with the build, here's to many miles of smiles and safe/sane riding :)... Pick your spots and learn the bike, I learned quite a lot of what nots, yup those what not to do's :)...

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
How much dangerous particulates do you really think can be sucked in through that 1/4" hole during warmup? The IAC is open for probably less than a minute.
I checked an old SERT dyno log file. Hot engine:
1200rpm idle, IAC 25 steps
3200rpm, IAC 27 steps
5400rpm, IAC 42 steps
8700rpm full throttle, IAC 51 steps

With T-Max in my current IAC curve is:
1168rpm idle cold 75 steps
1168rpm idle hot 28 steps

Your IAC channel is not only sucking dust, it is also leaking boost (wide throttle) when it's not connected to plenum.

·
Brutal
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s very interesting information Karzza. I was under the impression that the IAC Valve was only open at idle?
If, as you say, the IAC valve is stepped open under acceleration/boost conditions, then rather than sucking air, it will be working in reverse and venting (leaking) boost to the atmosphere???
That being said, have you plumbed your IAC valve into your plenum?
Alternatively, could the IAC be closed by the T-max software above, say @ 2000RPM to prevent boost leak?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
The more posts there are here the more I get confused. I took my airbox cover off and looked and I'm not sure where the IAC takes the air in. Is it on top of the plenum (not the very top, top of the base)...because there seems to be room under the plenum base too.

·
Brutal
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The onpening is on the top of the plenum's base plate. between the two downtubes. The underneath is all sealed by the gaskit.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,132 Posts
The onpening is on the top of the plenum's base plate. between the two downtubes. The underneath is all sealed by the gaskit.
Thanks. Seems like I don't need anything fancy if I wanted it filtered, like I could just push some foam between the plenums and the fact that it will be smashed in there will keep it in place...but I'll come up with something. I don't like this open.

·
all or nothing
1,372 Posts
That being said, have you plumbed your IAC valve into your plenum?
Yes, I have been welding U-profile on flange between plenum pipes. Zoom "crank case ventilation etc." picture in my gallery.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts