Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you guys offer suggestions on the best method on how to mount one, and what type to get? Is there I thread on the forum I am missing. I did a couple searches already with no luck.

It's obvious (based on the oil/dust residue rings on my fork tubes) that attaching the standard size fork bag to the fork brace would cause it to rub the top of the front fender.

I want something big enough to carry a kickstand puck, a ball cap, a sweat rag, gloves, sun glass case, maybe a multi-head screw driver, some allens, mini-mag light, bottle opener, etc. that I can leave on the bike all the time.

I was contemplating buying one and somehow using heavy duty black wire ties and just hang it from the handlebar so it hung just under the under the "color matched speed screen visor" (sorry couldn't resist) and then securing it to the forks or fork brace to keep it from moving around.

All opinions or help is appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Campingout,
You mean the fork brace between the headlight and the fender? Really?
Doesn't it rub the fender? That brace seems awful close to begin with and the rubber seals on mine leave visible rings on the fork tubes from going over bumps etc and those visible marks are way to close to the brace to hang anything from it without it hitting the front fender.

Do I need to ask at the dealer what the normal amount of vertical travel is? Maybe my forks don't have the correct amount of oil???

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Both my '03 and '07 have a vertical drop of 2 1/4" or there about.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, it is actually hung with the straps going around the forks, and the straps rest on the top of the lower bracket. The bottom of the bag seems to be right at about where the rings you talked about are on mine. It is probably being tapped by the fender. I don't see any marking on the paint yet, but I should probably put some rubber on the bottom of the bag or figure out a way to move the bag up an inch higher.

I don't have anything heavy in the bag, or it would be pulled down lower than it is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Measurement shows about 1 7/8 inches from the bottom of the bottom fork bracket (parts book name for it, i think), to the ring marks on the fork tubes, on mine.

Putting a straight edge across the top of those boot sliders (assuming the top is what leaves the ring mark) shows about another 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the fender.

Bracket is one inch thick.

Straps (bottom) go into the bags at about 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the bag.

Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch of sag in the bag.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Well, it is actually hung with the straps going around the forks, and the straps rest on the top of the lower bracket. The bottom of the bag seems to be right at about where the rings you talked about are on mine. It is probably being tapped by the fender. I don't see any marking on the paint yet, but I should probably put some rubber on the bottom of the bag or figure out a way to move the bag up an inch higher.

I don't have anything heavy in the bag, or it would be pulled down lower than it is.
I would find some 3M transparent mylar and apply it to the fender for protection not the bottom of the bag. Applying rubber to the bottom of the bag will only cause the rubber to bang against the paint and mar it.
You can buy the 3M mylar at any sports motorcycle shop. They may have to special order it but is it relatively cheap.

·
(Peter)
489 Posts
I use the small HD roll style fork bag. I use black zip ties to attach it to the top tripple tree when the cables pass through. The bottom rests on top of the headlight. It hasn't ever damaged the light, and I can remove it easily enough when I want. I used to also have the side frame bag, but haven't been able to get it back on since installing the 5 gallon tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Campingout - yea, it seemed too close to me to hang it from the fork brace but if you don't see any marks on your fender then you're good. Mine (the marks) might be a little more higher (closer to the fork brace) due to my weight (I go 285, but I'm big boned :) )

Fatz - thanks for the pic. I thought an older style bag would look outta place on such a modern bike but I like it. Says H-D to me. That looks like it would certainly be big enough to hold the basics.

pday- If we removed the wind screen we could do the same but as it is, we have to hang them under the headlight. But heck yea, without it we could go large! And you had the side frame bag but now it doesn't fit???? I was gonna get one of them too.......
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302478193&bmUID=1280251840918&bmLocale=en_US

says it fits 02' later except VRSCR

I like the one H-D sells that has the silver embroidered H-D script text, that matches the air box cover text. I bet I could get a permanent orange marker and color it to match the color on the bike. But they also sell one that just has an embossed Bar & Shield on it, and that matches the side frame bag.

You guys talked me into it since none of you are having any problems with any rubbing........My biggest fear was cracking the fender or the headlight windscreen if the bag got squished between the two hard enough. DELMARVA Bike week is in 51 days and all that stuff will be on sale so I might just have to get both.

Thanks for all your help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.