Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pile of parts starting to accumulate for winter mods on my X. I currently have JE Illusions rear fender with the Radiantz LED strip tail/sop/turn lights and a D model headlight bezel about to go to the painter for the stock X style paint job (minus the word "V-ROD") I'm keeping the stock seat and using a chromed baseplate because I ride my GF occasionally and want to be able to put my mini sissy bar off and on as needed. There's a local guy in Bedford who installs Gel pads and memory foam in motorcycle seats. After researching and asking questions here I see that air shocks are the only way to go to go low and still be able to ride two up so that's the route I have to take there. I want to do something with the front wheel. I really think Slammed Rods bike looks killer. I want opinions on just changing out the front wheel and leaving the stock rear in place. I'm thinking since the X has mismatched wheels anyway, how good would it look if I just swapped out the front? I'm thinking going polished aluminum instead of chrome to keep the finishes the same would be best. What's the consensus here on doing this? Here's a pick of his ride. (Sorry to use you for my guinea pig on public opinion.) If I buy a new polished aluminum wheel and don't like the look and decide to change the rear also I'm going to be pissed that I didn't go chrome, so I really want to get this right the first time. Or would a 21" 40 spoke wire wheel look better in the front with a polished rim?

http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/1/4/3/9/IMG_0483_original.jpg

Thanks for the opinions in advance.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made it a link instead
Smokedog...... your at exactly 666 posts right now.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
my honest opinion is that I don't think the mismatched wheels look all that great. but that is just my opinion and you should do whatever you think looks best for your bike :thumb:

·
Registered
922 Posts
lakedrunk said:
my honest opinion is that I don't think the mismatched wheels look all that great. but that is just my opinion and you should do whatever you think looks best for your bike :thumb:
:them: I'ts the only thing I dont like about the new AW. Not that I dislike the spokes, I just dislike the mixing of two different wheel types. :2cents:

·
Speed limit exempt
167 Posts
MurphysLaw said:
:them: I'ts the only thing I dont like about the new AW. Not that I dislike the spokes, I just dislike the mixing of two different wheel types. :2cents:
:them: I just think that with a solid rear on your bike, nothing will look good on the front, could be because of the bike color. A lighter color and you may not notice it as much. Just my :2cents:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bike has a slotted rear wheel and it's orange with silver flames, I was just using the one in the pic as an example, but I see what you your saying. I haven't talked to him about his bike, he may have it like that temporarily till he gets a new rear on. I can't decide if I like my spoked front or not, sometimes I think it looks cool, other times I'm not so sure.

This is what I'm working with here. (with different exhaust, and I'm scrapping the rear fender for a shorter one, probably getting rid of the front fender and losing the windshield and headlight in favor of the style on the DX.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
not a big fan of different wheels either.. i dont particularly care for my stockers, but they will have to do until i can afford buying a set of aftermarket wheels

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I love the solid rear wheel and mag front wheel (note I am NOT a fan of anything spoked, but mag I like). Chrome out the rear solid and it will look very nice.

That's what I will be going for in my new build, chromed solid rear with a flame/mag front.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I am in libo myself over this. I have my custom machined front wheel and a huge 18 x 8.5 chromed rear smoothie wheel, I like the look myself but I am starting to wonder if I should strip the chrome off the rear and machine it to match the front. I asked a few fellow members here while out in KC and I got a 50/50 repsonse.

Attachments

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ohioVROD said:
I am in libo myself over this. I have my custom machined front wheel and a huge 18 x 8.5 chromed rear smoothie wheel, I like the look myself but I am starting to wonder if I should strip the chrome off the rear and machine it to match the front. I asked a few fellow members here while out in KC and I got a 50/50 repsonse.
another vote for machining the rear also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts