Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Need some help here? I was hell bent on buying a 2011 Sedona Orange NRS. Let me give a quick background on me.

I've been riding all my life and I will be 34 in a few months. I have ridden a variety of bike's the past few years. Traditional cruisers, sport standards, and most recently a Yamaha Warrior and Yamaha Raider. I have come to conclusion that I like both the drag bike look and the “chopper look” as with the Raider. The Raider was the bike I wanted to keep for a very long time; that was until on Christmas Eve 2010. 18 year old girl texting made a left hand turn right in front of me with less than 50 ft of reaction time for me. Needless to say the bike is totaled and I have some stitches but am ok for the most part.

I’m waiting on my lawyer to make a nice settlement with the girl’s insurance company. Until then I have some decision making to do. I originally wanted to get a new 2011 Sedona Orange HD Wide Glide; that is until I went to the dealer and saw the Sedona Orange NRS. This is the bike I wanted after test riding it. It’s got the drag bike look that I like eg; my Yamaha Warrior I use to own. The dealer then called me a few days ago to look at the new Sedona Orange WG they got in. Ugh, now I can’t decide. I want both bikes. The WG has that “chopper look” eg; my Raider I had.

I am a very decisive person, yet I have never been so indecisive on a decision in my life. Should I just flip a coin here? I know I am on a Vrod site and will get more nods towards the Vrod. I just need some help here. Help me find some perspectives with the Vrod I might not be seeing here.

Pros & Cons of both:

NRS:
Love the looks and the fat 240 rear.
Love the power; it will be the closest in performance to my raider.
Love the brakes with the NRS.
Love that it is liquid cooled since I live in the desert in New Mexico.
Don’t like the riding position I’m in. I know I can fix that with different handle bars.
The bike feels small, yet I know it’s not a small bike.
I don’t ride long distances, maybe 100 miles for a long distance ride for me. I don’t want to regret getting the bike and having a hard time with comfort on the longer rides.

Wide Glide:
Love the chopper look and feel.
It is extremely comfortable and laid back, like the Raider was.
I really like the riding position with this bike.
Love the custom look it has.
Easily customizable. This is a big thing with me.
Don’t like the power. It’s a slug compared to the NRS and Raider
The brakes on the WG concern me. They sucks so bad compared to the NRS and my Raider.
I wish the WG had a larger rear wheel like the 210 the Raider had.

You may ask why I’m not getting a new Raider. Well, a new Raider now costs more than a new NRS and WG. Plus this gives me the opportunity to try a new bike. I always said my next bike would be a HD.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you guys can give me some honest opinions and insight here with out giving me to much sh*t.

I just want to make sure the NRS is the right bike for me. I don't want to get it and wish I had bought the WG.

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, for me, it comes down to what do you want; 1940's technology and style, or 1990's technology and style. This is not a put down. I love that 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, American and HD chopper technology and style. And I bought and rode it for decades. Heck, Harley even admits that that is what it is reading their hype about that Wide Glide - "Relive the 1970s with the EasyRider style..."

I decided to go with newer technology. There are big differences, but I have and will adjust.

The decision between your two bike candidates for me would be decided based on the brakes alone.

I still have my old Softail Custom, but I haven't ridden it since I got the NRS.

Good luck deciding. Let us know how it turns out.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
i dont dislike the look of the wide glide, it's probably one of the few airhead bikes i actually like (very few). but the performance would decide it for me. riding position is very changeable.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I rode Dynas for years, many Low Riders and 1 Wide Glide. I rode my 1st V in 2002 and have never looked back. I am now on my 4th V with my NRS and could not be happier. It took me a while to get used to the seating but now I am very comfortable.

Hope this helps some and hope your decision is the right 1 for you, Skip

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
It'll be a lot easier (and cheaper) to make th NRS fit you than make the Dyna go and stop the the NRS.
Ed

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
braking is a very important part of riding. If you do not feel safe with the brakes of a particular bike, it is likely you will not ride it much.
Go with the one that mentally feels better for you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'll be a lot easier (and cheaper) to make th NRS fit you than make the Dyna go and stop the the NRS.
Ed
Ya, this is my thinking also.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Wide Glide is a cool looking bike, probably my second favorite HD. But, IMHO, this is an easy choice. Get the V Rod, it is, hands down, the best bike the MoCo has ever made.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I am fortuante enough to own both an airhead and a VRSC. One is a 1981 Superglide the other an 07DX. The visual contrast is kinda like the retro Dertiot Iron. Take the 2010 and 1969 Camaro looks are more modern but still hold the line of the 69. It is much closer then the 2001 Camaro. Now performance not even in the same ball park. One is playing touch football the other is playing rugby. Same with the aircooled and Vrod. My two bikes next to each other have a lot of the same visual. Yet each carries its own stick I dont know if I can call the Dyna line a "chopper" . I am rambleing again

I love to ride both but I also understand the extreme differences between them. If I had to choose between a new airhead and the Vrod, I would go Vrod. You can do anything to the WG, even get them to run down a Vrod but like Z16 siad how much more do you want to spend. At 34 years old plenty of time for a "chopper" couch.
GLad you oly got a few stiches, and good luck with the insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Just reading your pros and cons tells me you will be happier with the NRS. The air cooled Harley's don't do it for me at all. Of the ones I've ridden I could not understand how such a big (for a motorcycle) engine has a feeling of low power! Then stopping was also a challenge!

I'm very happy with my Night rod. Goes and stops when I want!

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you have a lawsuit to settle, they may not even make Harleys by that time..
Personally, since you asked, I think you'll 2nd guess which ever decision you make.
Buy one, regret it, live with it or trade it.
Bottom line tho', watch out for 18 year old drivers !!!
Oh, hope this helped.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have a lawsuit to settle, they may not even make Harleys by that time..
Personally, since you asked, I think you'll 2nd guess which ever decision you make.
Buy one, regret it, live with it or trade it.
Bottom line tho', watch out for 18 year old drivers !!!
Oh, hope this helped.
lol

Ya, that is what everybody is telling me. I'll buy one, but wish I would have bought the other. My gut is telling me to go with the NRS. Just something about the big fat tire and the sleek profile it has. Not to mention, like somebody mentioned, it's cheaper to make the NRS fit me, than to upgrade the WG's engine & brakes.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
lol

Ya, that is what everybody is telling me. I'll buy one, but wish I would have bought the other. My gut is telling me to go with the NRS. Just something about the big fat tire and the sleek profile it has. Not to mention, like somebody mentioned, it's cheaper to make the NRS fit me, than to upgrade the WG's engine & brakes.
The Brembos on V-Rods are pretty hard to beat. There was a breaking distance chart floating around a year or so back that put the V-Rod in the top ten for 60 to 0 distance.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
If you're wanting to be a "Harley guy" with Harley friends, going to Harley places and doing Harley things don't buy a V-Rod. If you want a nice well rounded performance oriented cruiser with some style then to me the V-Rod is the only choice.

If you're all about performance and don't care about style then don't get the V-Rod either.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you're wanting to be a "Harley guy" with Harley friends, going to Harley places and doing Harley things don't buy a V-Rod. If you want a nice well rounded performance oriented cruiser with some style then to me the V-Rod is the only choice.

If you're all about performance and don't care about style then don't get the V-Rod either.
I've ridden Yamaha's the past 5 years. I could care less about the HD life style.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I've ridden Yamaha's the past 5 years. I could care less about the HD life style.
Oh but the brainwashing they use in the dealership when you buy a new bike will make you want to buy anything with an HD logo or a Willy G skull on it. It takes about a year of not going into one to get rid of the desire. That is the real reason they keep you comming back for dumb repair. Its calculated. :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well here is my 2 cents. I own an 11 nrs and my brother owns an 11 wg. I have rode both bikes and its nrs all the way. The nrs has better brakes, alot more power, the ride on the nrs is better, the nrs looks alot badder with that 240 tire, and it holds the road better. The michelin tires on the nrs grip the road alot better. The nrs is cheaper too. It would take alot of cash to get the wg any where close to the nrs. But if you just like to cruise and like the old school look then get the wg. This is from person experience and what I could tell different between the two. You would save enough on the nrs to actually put a few mods on it just to get it up to the wg price. They are two completely different bikes. I checked out both bikes and several others. The nrs was the only HD that I really liked. It just felt right for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts