Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy a bike from a fellow Forum member close to Bakersfield and need a HD skid to ship the bike by truck here, to Canada. The only problem is when I called the dealer ( Bakersfield HD Service dept. ) he claims that they have to return them to the MoCo. and won't give one up. Most dealers are only to happy to get rid of them. Anyone have an in there that may be able to wrestle one away from them for us to use? Thanks, Pat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a used bike in San Diego (really neat place with good people) and had it shipped to a H-D dealer in south Texas to give it a check up and to install some goodies before I brought it into Mexico where I live and work. The service rep at the dealer called me to say that the bike arrived damaged in shipment and sent me a repair estimate of almost $4,000!!! Well, kiss my grits! After several calls to the dealer and to the shipper, Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping, the shipper does not want to even step up to the plate and send an adjuster to inspect the bike. This shipper had been highly recommended by someone who ships a lot of bikes and they had never had any problems. The thing is, it's easy to look good when things are going great. The real test is how you respond when things aren't so great. What I'm trying to say is be very careful selecting your shipping company. Sorry I can't offer any alternative shippers. This was my first time. Good luck.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the past I've used a company called Caneda Transport, so far so good with excellent service to boot. Oh for the want of a proper skid though. I've emailed the trucking company as I've heard they may be able to provide one if needed. PS: Thank you RJ.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
patm said:
I'd like to buy a bike from a fellow Forum member close to Bakersfield and need a HD skid to ship the bike by truck here, to Canada. The only problem is when I called the dealer ( Bakersfield HD Service dept. ) he claims that they have to return them to the MoCo. and won't give one up. Most dealers are only to happy to get rid of them. Anyone have an in there that may be able to wrestle one away from them for us to use? Thanks, Pat.
I have a skid, but I am about four hours north of Bakersfield. It is sitting in my backyard if you want it, it's yours.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uncle Fester said:
I have a skid, but I am about four hours north of Bakersfield. It is sitting in my backyard if you want it, it's yours.
I may be in touch if all else fails. Thanks, Pat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Plane ticket ?
Inspection ?
Peace of mind- Priceless.
Still gonna cost you the same to register in Canada whether or not you ship or ride it in AHY? (??)

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
The shipper I used for a bike from Ohio to Northern NY has his own pallets made for bikes. They strap them in there and off they go.

It is part of Allied Van Lines and you get a discount if you are a HOG member (no proof necessary).
The bike does move from truck to truck and warehouse to warehouse. But I had a decent experience with them. I sent the bike to a freight forwarder at the border and went to pick it up with a trailer from there. It was a lot cheaper if I imported it myself. (I you do go that route, you need to submit the paper work for export 3 days before bringing the bike over and get a recall letter from the mfr as soon as possible. They can take several weeks to get and you need it to import.)

http://www.funtransport.com/howweship.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts