Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hope i am putting this question in the right area. As posted previously, i am determined to get a v rod but which model?. They all have good and bad points for my taste and i would like to be knowledgable on what can be changed easily and what cant.
The street rod catches my eye because of the inverted front fork, the higher lean angle, the mid controls, and the already enlarged gas tank. But, i really like the small fairing on the front of the night rod, will one fit on a street rod?. I also like the look of no rear fender as i have seen on some custom bikes, and the side mounted licence plate bracket from the new muscle, is this adaptable to a cr? I love the blacked out frame of the newer models, is this a huge project or is it doable over a winter?. I would also like a bigger back tire and have found from the forum that 260 seems to be as large as you could go without major work.
As always thanks in advance for any help.
Doug

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Hey all, hope i am putting this question in the right area. As posted previously, i am determined to get a v rod but which model?. They all have good and bad points for my taste and i would like to be knowledgable on what can be changed easily and what cant.
The street rod catches my eye because of the inverted front fork, the higher lean angle, the mid controls, and the already enlarged gas tank.1) But, i really like the small fairing on the front of the night rod, will one fit on a street rod?. I also like the look of no rear fender as i have seen on some custom bikes, and 2)the side mounted licence plate bracket from the new muscle, is this adaptable to a cr? I love the blacked out frame of the newer models, is this a huge project or is it doable over a winter?. 3)I would also like a bigger back tire and have found from the forum that 260 seems to be as large as you could go without major work.
Doug
1) Yes, but it will require some tweaking. Believe you would need to swap out the headlight to the D/DX light as well

2)yes, the F side mount tag holder mounts to the inner fender/bag supports. However, there are plenty of aftermarket tag holders that are more cost effective and aesthetically pleasing

3) if I'm not mistaken, the 'R' comes stock with a 180 rear. The largest you could go on a stock 180 bike with little or no mods wold be 210mm rear. Taking a stock 180 rear bike to a 260 is the same amount of work as taking it to a 300

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
The R model can accept a 260 tire with not all that much work. You would need a wider wheel, the wider wheels comp bowl and thinner rear belt pulley, modify the brake tab on the swing arm and a new thinner belt. Do-able over a weekend, yes. A 300 tire is much more work since the swing-arm must be widened and the fender from the R model is not going to be wide enough to have room for hard hits on the shocks in the rear. The tire will go up into the rear fender so a 260 is squeezing into the stock width fender with just a small amount of rubbing if you hit a hard bump back there, the 300 will bounce off the bottom sides of the narrow fender.
Now the blacked out frame is a little more work since everything needs to be pulled from it to send it to powder coating. I would not paint the frame since paint is too easy to scratch.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
I think all the 07 R's can in black frame. Some of the 06's had a black frame.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Almost right. The frame changed for 08, so the 08 D can use a 240 or a 260 by changing the wheel, spacers, pulley, and belt.
The R is the red-headed stepchild, don't believe MOCO when they say it won't fit. Most of the time it will with a little ingenuity.

A 260 has been done with a different swing arm, wheel and pulley. Do a search.....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The street rod catches my eye because of the inverted front fork, the higher lean angle, the mid controls, and the already enlarged gas tank. But, i really like the small fairing on the front of the night rod, will one fit on a street rod?. I also like the look of no rear fender as i have seen on some custom bikes, and the side mounted licence plate bracket from the new muscle, is this adaptable to a cr? I love the blacked out frame of the newer models, is this a huge project or is it doable over a winter?. I would also like a bigger back tire and have found from the forum that 260 seems to be as large as you could go without major work.
Doug
I have to ask this: if you want an "R" because of the handling capabilities why crap it up with a big rear tire.? A wide tire will destroy the balance and nimbleness of the R model. The folks who do the big tire on the other Vrod models already have less than ideal handling with the laid-back riding position and small lean angles. Just saying...:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THanks, didnt know a bigger rear tire would affect cornering, is there a compromise size to get the good looks but still corner? or is the stock size ideal?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
THanks, didnt know a bigger rear tire would affect cornering, is there a compromise size to get the good looks but still corner? or is the stock size ideal?
I would say that the 180 is ideal as that was how the bike was engineered. That said, there are people who have gotten a 200 in without having to do modifications (other than to the bolts for the saddlebag mounts if so equipped.) Doubt that would make much difference with handling. Now a big 260+ is another matter, and of course necessitates a new swingarm and other modifications.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
From my experience, the R (I have two) is pretty sensitive to rear tire size and inflation. I can tell when the rear tire is down three or four pounds air pressure because it won't turn the way it should. It is sensitive to rear tire shape as well, and different tire brands make a noticeable difference in how the bike handles. Stay with the 180 rear tire and try Avons.
Several members have worked out how to install a D/DX headlights and fairings on their R's. I have DX risers, top clamp and instrument housing on my R (R guages in a DX housing with a little black foam insulation from Home Depot to fill on gap), drag bars and the black Sport Wind Deflector from the VRSCX on mine. It required some minor ingenuity but the big parts bolted right up to the R triple clamps.
Another member has the same black Sport Wind Deflector on his R with the original handlebars and instrument housing or "clamshell". There are a couple of R's with Road Glide fairings on them! The nice thing about the R is that it has the best all around chassis of the bunch. You won't be crying about a lack of cornering ability or all around good road manners on it. The stock spring and damping rates are very good. The brakes are outstanding. It's smooth, quiet and mechanically refined. The rest to me are just details.
Like any Harley it's only partially complete, waiting for the owner to finish it off and make it theirs. Not too many motorcycle companies have a sense of humor about their customers modifying their bikes the way Harley does.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Anything and everything can be done to any and every model - period. Just takes money. It no doubt has all been done already.
Buy whatever model and make it yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts