Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a little help guys. I was out for a ride today when my bike died. If it matters I just filled it up and trickle charged the battery last night. My bike would start then die. It threw several codes and I'd be happy to list them although I don't know how to pull them. I only see the one code displayed and it's r 182. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
HOW TO PULL CODES HERE

fairly certain that the r 182 is not a code but your fuel gauge letting you know you have 182 miles until empty. All the codes I am familiar with begin with 'P', 'B', or 'U' and would be followed by four (4) numbers not just three.
It would be helpful if you list what bike you have & fueler you are using. In your profile only the GSXR is listed.

couple of quick check possibilities...
1) you ran out of gas even though your fuel gauge is stating otherwise (common)
2) you over charged and damaged the battery by having it on a trickle charger
3) battery is just old and done
4) loose ground(s) and or battery terminal wire(s)
5) loose connection on your tuner

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I did as you said and checked my codes. That's a great thread by the way. PS and C all said none. I had three PN numbers come up but I think they're part numbers. Just in case they're not the PN are

PN 67453-07
PN 1599 002
PN 68925-07

My DX is an 07 but with a 1250 in it. It has Destroyer Heads, cam, higher compression, etc. It's a monster and I really like it. I've got some kind of Screaming Eagle EFI Tuner Kit plug in that came with the bike. Unfortunately, the bike has been sitting for several months because I've been so busy with work. I did charge my fairly new battery last night because it wouldn't turn over the engine. Something else, while I was waiting for the flat bed today I noticed that I had some sparking off of my battery when I tried to start my bike. The bike did crank and it would even fire, for a while, then die again. Any ideas on what I should check next? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AOW, thanks and you're right the r 182 has something to do with my miles till empty. I think it's a little optimistic though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If your battery is sparking I would think Loose connection or Bad Post . It could also be the Connector part of the wire as well.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
It's a 1250 with Destroyer heads, cams and higher compression?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
sparking = loose connection somewhere.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
1-Battery to Front Head.

2-Multiple eye-lugs coming from the main harness along the upper LEFT frame rail to bolts on each of the engines heads.

3-bottom of engine rear oil pan screw to lower frame cross member.

4-(IIRC) Rear sub-fender under the cosmetic tin, there may be another eye-lug

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the ideas guys. I really appreciate it.

Yes, it's a 1250 with worked over destroyer heads, destroyer injectors, different tb, custom cams, oversize valves and somewhere in the low 13:1 cr. It runs fine on 93 octane and it's a truly awesome bike. I didn't build it and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things. It's very quick and just sounds mean. I am very lucky to have it.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I was just curious about the destroyer cams you mentioned and how it idled. I see you meant custom cams now.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I get the feeling you are trying to stroke us,if not,then I'm bad.

Where did the bike get towed to?
Remove the air box cover and start looking around for something out of place.Check the battery cables and the 3 main grounds.
Why are you running Destroyer heads on the street?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What is the hot wire? Is that the ingition run switch?
In my service manual there are a bunch of warnings to make sure the throttle cables do not touch the hot lead from the battery or you could have a "fire or explosion". On my bike the throttle cables run between the coolant bottle and the battery, and the hot lead is on the right side, where a mis-routed throttle cable, easy to do, could short the battery and cause sparks at the very least. Just something to check.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I get the feeling you are trying to stroke us,if not,then I'm bad.

Where did the bike get towed to?
Remove the air box cover and start looking around for something out of place.Check the battery cables and the 3 main grounds.
Why are you running Destroyer heads on the street?
It's your bad ElrodontheV-Rod. I like your screename btw. I'm only asking for ideas with my bike. I had my bike towed back to my home. I'm fairly mechanical and with the help of this forum I think I can probably fix it myself. Plus, I'm not a fan of going to the stealership.
As for why I'm running Destroyer heads on the street? The short answer is because I bought it that way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my service manual there are a bunch of warnings to make sure the throttle cables do not touch the hot lead from the battery or you could have a "fire or explosion". On my bike the throttle cables run between the coolant bottle and the battery, and the hot lead is on the right side, where a mis-routed throttle cable, easy to do, could short the battery and cause sparks at the very least. Just something to check.
Thanks Philthy, I appreciate the thought and I'll look into it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts