Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been experiencing a slight pulse when apply front brake pressure for a while. It was barely noticeable and I noticed that when the brakes were clean it was almost non-existent.

The pulsing has gotten very bad now so I took it in to have them check it out. The diagnosis is...you guessed it...warped rotors. They are on order. Thank God it is under warranty.

(I'm at 5000 miles.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
rotor fun

My buddy whom I purchased the R from had 7 replacements done in 7K miles, but he's extra hard on equipment. I have the 'new' replacement rotors on the bike and have had no problems yet. I did go ahead and purchase replacement rotors from Zanotti's for 138 bucks as my bike is out of warranty, we'll see when I have to use 'em.
Hopefully your new rotors will work out better for you.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
V-Rod rotors mount nothing like the rotors on other Harley's. The rotors on most HD's are a flat disc that bolt to the wheel with five countersunk allen screws per side. V-Rods are semi floating and the mounting buttons are on lugs on the wheel. There is no carrier. The V-Rod rotors mount almost exactly like modern BMW rotors, not surprising if you consider the common Teutonic heritage.

·
24 Posts
davetpilot said:
I had been experiencing a slight pulse when apply front brake pressure for a while. It was barely noticeable and I noticed that when the brakes were clean it was almost non-existent.

The pulsing has gotten very bad now so I took it in to have them check it out. The diagnosis is...you guessed it...warped rotors. They are on order. Thank God it is under warranty.

(I'm at 5000 miles.)
I too found this as issue already as early as at 1000 miles with same results on diagnosis. Mine are also on order at 1500 miles now.

BTW, had this same issue on VRSCA 2005 as well... :soapbox: Wonder if there are many of us out there (...yes, they come out at night :D )?

// b

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warranty issue!

After 5 days in the shop, my brake rotors and pads were replaced. What a difference. I know now that the rotors were warped when I bought the bike because the brakes never worked this good. (It only had 23 miles on it when I bought it...go figure)

Anyway, I went to pick it up and the dealership wanted $574!!!!

I said, "No, it's all warranty work."
"Who told you it was under warranty?" He asked.
"I don't know his name but the day after I dropped it off the service tech said the rotors were warped and it was covered. The bike is brand new. I bought it just 7 months ago!"

The guy was really cool about it. He works the weekend shift so was unfamiliar with the service I had done. He told me to go ahead and take the bike home and they would figure it out on Monday.

Has anyone had any problem getting the rotors replaced under warranty?

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
davetpilot said:
Has anyone had any problem getting the rotors replaced under warranty?
I will find out soon enough. I took my bike in for the 5k service at Thiel's, Upper Sandusky, OH, and Jeremy (tech) said that the front rotors were trashed. Keith (Service Manager) says that they are under warranty. They ordered a new set. Hopefully, I'll get a call soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was about to have my third set of rotors replaced when I saw on here about swopping sides. So I replaced the hardware, swopped sides, and they were good as new. Still ok after 5000 miles. But, warped rotors are covered under warranty.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Don't it suck. I bought WELD rotors and they also warped. Damn it.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
tapia said:
Don't it suck. I bought WELD rotors and they also warped. Damn it.
Send 'em back! Weld advertises, and gets paid for, the best in the business!

·
----->
7,589 Posts
I bought them from Hog Pro. Called Jerry up and he'll sell me rotor adapters so I can use the stock rotors again:spank:

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
I had the same problem.Wobbely frontend when braking light,i could hear the disk and pad ticing just after braking and then it would dissapear cause the pads where pushed back in the caliper.but what side?
I lifted the front wheel and placed feltpen stripes quickly over the disk and directly gave the wheel a spin.you can see were it touches.
A friend had his disc wheels replaced so i took one disk off for try out
I replaced the disc but noticed one bolt deeper than all others at torck.Turnt out the springwasher was broken!!!from little wear near the crack it happened with the first disk .now the strange thing,wase this the cause for disk faillure or as a result.........

HD advises to replace bolts and springwashers (1 bolt 2.20$/1 washer 2.20$= 1 wheel side=22$ !!!)wonder why so expensive.

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
No warping, but the low-speed squeal I get from my front brakes when coming to a mellow stop is driving me nuts!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
:moped:
ziggy said:
www.w8lessrotors.com

I spoke to the w8lessrotors guy last week in Reno. They are working on Vrod rotors and should have them soon. Of course, he told me that last spring too.
Xactly. I have asked him like 8 times at shows and he keeps saying 'sure, have at the shop' or they will be ready in the next couple of weeks. I keep checking the site with no joy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I kinda question any company that neglects to put, "except VRod", in their product description. If you are in the business of making motorcycle parts and "specialize" in parts for Harley-Davidson motorcycles you should be well aware of all Harley models.

To say that something fits ALL Harleys without the typical VRod disclaimer is, IMHO, unprofessional. :soapbox:

Ok, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening.

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Fixed!

I took my R to Thiel's this morning for the rotor change. OMG! The difference is amazing! I might actually want to use the front brake now!

They used H-D #44553-06A. 9 days from ordering parts to installation. That works for me. Jeremy did a great job. Thanx!

Doc

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot.

No charge.

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
thedoctor77 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot.

No charge.
So what is it like to live near a dealer and not a stealer? Congrats.

I have been fortunate to not have any "real" pulsing. I only notice it at parking lot speeds witha light touch on the front brake.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gtrman66 said:
So what is it like to live near a dealer and not a stealer? Congrats.

I have been fortunate to not have any "real" pulsing. I only notice it at parking lot speeds witha light touch on the front brake.
That's how it starts. It will get worse.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts