Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to open my V-Rod up from a dead start yet. I know it's made to be a drag bike but is this something I should do? I really want to but, it's a lot of power to be playing with if you don't know what you're doing. Any advice. Thanks.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Have you got 500 miles on it yet? The break-in period is that long and is highly recommended by those here on the forum.

Good to see another Michigan rider here....

Velcro on the seat and your pants would be a recommendation... :D

Welcome.

HoldHard

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
HoldHard said:
Have you got 500 miles on it yet? The break-in period is that long and is highly recommended by those here on the forum.

Good to see another Michigan rider here....

Velcro on the seat and your pants would be a recommendation... :D

Welcome.

HoldHard
SAY'S WHO?The Break In Period is the BIGGEST BUNCH OF :bs: I have seen,but what do I know? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I got close to 2000 miles on it. How many RPM's to let her lose at.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i am with you i have not red-lined mine yet. i have 700 miles on it now and am getting closer to it everyday. Today i hit 7k rpm for the first time and man did that ride bring a smile to my face

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have bounced mine of the limiter a few times
128mph 7600rpm 5th gear going up hill with a 20 mph head wind
26 miles to the gallon
if you dump the clutch at 8500 in first gear the front tire will come up if you are a big guy with out pulling on it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW, VRODMAN Really 8500 from 1st to second and it will lift up. What about putting your feet on the rear foot pegs and all that?

·
Registered
224 Posts
After I did my 1k service, bumped the rev limiter 2 times. Buy some really good gloves!! And a full face helmet!

·
4,638 Posts
2-Quick said:
I have yet to open my V-Rod up from a dead start yet. I know it's made to be a drag bike but is this something I should do? I really want to but, it's a lot of power to be playing with if you don't know what you're doing. Any advice. Thanks.
If you are intimidated about the power and hesitate to Hammer it once and awhile then CHANGE YOUR NAME FROM 2-QUICK to SOME-DAY :eek: :eek: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
qcwiz said:
After I did my 1k service, bumped the rev limiter 2 times. Buy some really good gloves!! And a full face helmet!
From a V-Rod novice, I haven't a clue what the above means.

"bumped the rev limiter 2 times" Would someone enlighten me?
Please excuse my ignorance.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
vrodman said:
if you put your feet on the rear pegs you will melt your boot or shoe do you like that smell or you just inexperianced?
Not to be an Jerk but What are YOU talking about vrodman?Try going 130,140 or Yes I have Gone 160mph+ on my V-rod MANY,MANY TIMES!If your Feet are on the Front Pegs at those speeds You A$$ IS GETTING BLOWN OFF!The only way to go that fast for MORE THEN A SECOND is to put your feet on the rear Pegs and Lay on the Air Box Cover.I have a Drag Peg setup that is 4inches Lower then the Stock peg,but in the Same bolt holes.I ride at Stupidly Fast Speeds Regularly in this Position with No Burns/Melts what ever else you were talking about.I do Not have the Stock Pipes and Maybe in that Position a Toe or Something Might touch,but I'm Really Baffled about Your Statement.I don't want to Start a Flame Session but it's a Subject I think I KNOW BETTER THEN MOST! ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
coolbreeze there is a rev limiter on the bike set at about 9200 rpm(correct me if im wrong here) The bike wont let your RPM get higher than this so the needle will bump off that number when it reaches it.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Azslightdraw said:
coolbreeze there is a rev limiter on the bike set at about 9200 rpm(correct me if im wrong here) The bike wont let your RPM get higher than this so the needle will bump off that number when it reaches it.

Much appreciated Azslightdraw,

Thanks

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
We in the lounge here? Open her up? LISTEN! Let'er rip. The V-Rod that is.

Forget break-in. But that's not a problem anymore. If someone has a V-Rod that has not been up above 7000, she is one sad :sad: motorcycle. Sounds like you get this overwhelming sensation and let off it. It's at around 7000 'cause that's when it gets good at pulling very hard. I can remember that and scares me a bit having no respect for that sensation. Goten NUMB with those in time.

Out the hole above 8000? Oh well! She won't mind much but to loose all that energy. You could do it from 3000 and control the grip with throttle and clutch rate. Wheelies? I'm a wuz :hitfan: . Lifting the front wheel is not a wheelie to me, never. It's just lifting the front wheel. For a wheelie to be "real" you must reach the balance point so I cannot wheelie mine ;) . A power wheelie is a wuz's way to learn, so I am one, no need for that many revs. If you do that in first from a rolling start with your feet on the pegs the wheel will start spinning and you'll do a rolling burnout sideways to the right a bit, very cool and fast sensations, no wheelie. For a power wheelie you could put your feet on the rear pegs or just let'em kind of hang up the rear way up or low so YOU control the sway :sinister: . Whatever you do don't do anything if not sure, work your way up to it. I am really really MF'g tired of F'g death and accidents. Sorry but I get nervous. I'm getting to be an older 36 year old man in a week or so. :soapbox:

I survived many years of not caring much for dear life and got away with too many broken bones (7 or so), teared muscles, a lot of road rash, and very useful experience. Since I want to live to see my children get old with me I sold the off road stuff, my sportbike got stolen and no new one. Then the bright ;) idea of a V-Rod :rolleyes: . One easy ride she is. Very powerful, well yes. Scary powerful? Not in a million years but plenty to get anyone in trouble of the severe variety.

·
4,638 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Not to be an Jerk but What are YOU talking about vrodman?Try going 130,140 or Yes I have Gone 160mph+ on my V-rod MANY,MANY TIMES!If your Feet are on the Front Pegs at those speeds You A$$ IS GETTING BLOWN OFF!The only way to go that fast for MORE THEN A SECOND is to put your feet on the rear Pegs and Lay on the Air Box Cover.I have a Drag Peg setup that is 4inches Lower then the Stock peg,but in the Same bolt holes.I ride at Stupidly Fast Speeds Regularly in this Position with No Burns/Melts what ever else you were talking about.I do Not have the Stock Pipes and Maybe in that Position a Toe or Something Might touch,but I'm Really Baffled about Your Statement.I don't want to Start a Flame Session but it's a Subject I think I KNOW BETTER THEN MOST! ;)
GO KAZANOVA......... GO.......... :kaz:

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your now comfortable with the bike, NAIL IT.
I ride the hell out of mine, and really enjoy it. If you don't want to spin the back tire when taking off, don't rev to over about 3500 on the street. When you get going take it to the top and shift brother, you'll love it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts