Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a swing arm to be chromed, it came back looking like someone sprinkled it with dirt and then put the chrome on it. So I asked the guy what is up with that and he told me it is pitting in the casting. Is this Bull shit? When a piece comes back, is there chances of flaws from the casting? I thought that is why they copper and nickel it first? He just sent me pictures and it's coming back this time looking worse than the first time I sent it out. :soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

I know I wouldn't send another thing to this guy. I have well over $100 just in shipping. Not to mention a shitty looking swing arm! I talked to a chromer and he told me there is no excuse for the way it looks. Anyone ever have a problem like this?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
contact ohioVrod...Scott can help you get it to Brown Chroming.

I think they can do swingarms.

He is a vendor for them.

Good Luck

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Since you used the analogy of "sprinkled dirt" I am assuming that the spots are raised from the surface. So it sounds like the part was dirty before it went into the plating vat and/or the vat itself is contaminated. The few parts that I have had plated, if there was a pit in the surface, the chrome had a pit in it. This type of flaw is repaired by plating the part with copper, pitts are then filled with solder, solder area is sanded smooth and the part is once again plated with copper then polished and expected. If it is acceptable then onto nickle then chrome.

Sounds like your plater is doing a poor job. But also, if you are only being charged $50 for this, then you are getting what you payed for.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you used the analogy of "sprinkled dirt" I am assuming that the spots are raised from the surface. So it sounds like the part was dirty before it went into the plating vat and/or the vat itself is contaminated. The few parts that I have had plated, if there was a pit in the surface, the chrome had a pit in it. This type of flaw is repaired by plating the part with copper, pitts are then filled with solder, solder area is sanded smooth and the part is once again plated with copper then polished and expected. If it is acceptable then onto nickle then chrome.

Sounds like your plater is doing a poor job. But also, if you are only being charged $50 for this, then you are getting what you payed for.
Sammy, I have over $130 in shipping and he charged me $225 I think. I can look it up. Check out the pics he just sent me. These do look like pits this time, but the last set of pics that I have were raised.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Wouldnt pitting have reccess in the metal or concaved in lil areas. That looks like they sandblasted blasted to prep but didnt clean to chrome thinking that the copper and nickel would hide it. Sorry about that bud =\

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Sammy, I have over $130 in shipping and he charged me $225 I think. I can look it up. Check out the pics he just sent me. These do look like pits this time, but the last set of pics that I have were raised.

I'm far from an expert on the mishaps of the chroming process but those "pits" in the chrome look just like fish eyes in paint which happens when the surface is contaminated. I know it sucks when you pay good money to a "professional" and they can't deliver, but it is obvious your plater needs to get a different hobby.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Chrome is like paint, what's underneath telegraphs through. The swingarm needs to be polished smooth before plating.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
That or he used inferior or impure metals =( again that sucks bud.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
John it looks like shit they did a terrible job and should not have shipped it to you in that condition. You need to list who did the job so no one here makes the same mistake that you made sorry. curley

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
That swingarm looks terrible.Who ever did that job doesn't have any pride about themselves at all.If you have paid for this,stop the payment.If you havn't paid,don't.
Even though you have an 08,you will be better off to not pay and just get another swingarm to start with.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That swingarm looks terrible.Who ever did that job doesn't have any pride about themselves at all.If you have paid for this,stop the payment.If you havn't paid,don't.
Even though you have an 08,you will be better off to not pay and just get another swingarm to start with.
This is the second try. I sent it back the first time and now it is on it's way to me looking like this. He pretty much said I'm shit out of luck! I am going to talk to Scott and see if I have to get a new swing arm or if he thinks this one can be salvaged.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Yes, Brown's does do swingarms. I had mine done two years ago.
Nice job.

Mike

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
auttsj... that sux pretty bad. the chromer i did went to in the past told me he could 'de-chrome' parts. dont know exact if he did ment all the layers. I hope for ya it can be fixed. I know i would be pretty sick...

From the very little i know from reading the first nickle layer is the thickest, when there is contamination on the surface or in the bath the nickle forms a (moon)crater alround the dirt/sand/metal shave. the chrome is just a very thin extra layer for the shiny effect.
my guess is the y left it in extra long to cover the craters but it only went wors.
the second attempt they dechromed and denickled the part from it's to thick layer and chromed it again leaving all the dirt sticking out.

Chroming a part like this with all it's cavity's is not the most easyes (chromers words). i had a special price for they did not gave me the best they could. aluminum is hard to get good chromed.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Chroming a part like this with all it's cavity's is not the most easyes (chromers words). i had a special price for they did not gave me the best they could. aluminum is hard to get good chromed.
Please,and I'm not on your case but if a company advertises they chrome parts,then by God,they should chrome the damned thing and give the man what he wanted.The aggravation just over something as common as chroming a damned aluminum a swingarm is not worth it.

I have aluminum parts chromed quit often.The company I have been using for the past couple of years does excellent work and can flip something as large as a wheel around in 1 business week.If not,they call me and let me know what the hell is going on without any bullshit lies.

It might be easier to buy a takeoff swingarm and start out fresh.By the time someone strips that ugly one and preps it,you will probably have more in it than it's worth.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Brown's Plating is the best in the industry!

As the saying goes you pay for what you get!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Brown's Plating is the best in the industry!

As the saying goes you pay for what you get!
Ive never had the pleasure of using Browns for chroming,but if you guys that are closer to Florida need a good quality plating company,try Space Coast Plating and Metal Refinishing.They do excellent work with a quick turn around time.
http://spacecoast-plating.com/shipping.html

·
Registered
284 Posts
i had my rims chromed. they were harly davidson rims. when he stripped them they had pits in them. he contacted me and ask if i wanted them fix. i ask what would happen they they did not fix the pits. he said they would show up in the finish work. he had to weld them then grind and sand. before prep. the finish job awesome. it looks like when he prep the arm. the pits showed up. he should have contacted you first to see if you wanted them fixed before chroming. this guy seems like a lazy chromer. or does not quite no what he is doing. i went to california chrome in la ca

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i had my rims chromed. they were harly davidson rims. when he stripped them they had pits in them. he contacted me and ask if i wanted them fix. i ask what would happen they they did not fix the pits. he said they would show up in the finish work. he had to weld them then grind and sand. before prep. the finish job awesome. it looks like when he prep the arm. the pits showed up. he should have contacted you first to see if you wanted them fixed before chroming. this guy seems like a lazy chromer. or does not quite no what he is doing. i went to california chrome in la ca
This is exactly what he told me after he chromed it the second time. So it needs welded and then chromed. This really sucks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts