Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for a good 20yrs and every bike I have owned was able to take a low speed right hand city corner in second gear(20mph).
I posted this in the vrscaw section as maybe it's the wider rear tire that gives me issue.
When negotiating a right turn on a city street corner what gear do you drop into.This is the only bike I have ever owned that seems to want 1st gear.I can often do 2cd but either boarder on bogging the motor or scream threw in 1st then right back into 2cd.It really seems like a waist to down shift then up shift immediately on every corner in the hood and riding the clutch would make me ill.Not complaining but either the gear ratios seem a little off or my subdivisions road layout sucks.I have 4 successive right handers and It makes it hard to do them under power :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 240 rear tire does take a bit of getting used to, & the 1st to 2nd ratio could be a little closer but it should not be a major problem?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
2nd gear shouldn't be a problem, but remember, the way it is geared, 1st gear is good for 60 mph or so... 20 is about the slowest I'd go in 2nd gear or you're lugging it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,I guess I just have to get it through my thick skull that this bike can rev.I have no problem trashing it in any other gear.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
There wase a lot of difference when i changed my front sprocket from 30 to 28 tooth. good chance you have 28 already.. maybee 26 tooth change? Good for trafic light take off's and slow cornering

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just took it out and did the neighborhood loop about 5 times.I'm now sure it's my exhaust and my unconscious attempt to not piss off the neighbors inducing me to short shift because of the echo off all the parked cars.It asked around and apparently it seems far louder too me than it really is.Being able to run through the neighborhood at 4600rpm I definitely much better.Ill check into a 26 tooth sprocket in the future but a quick pole of the hood says it's ok for now.They just finished putting a traffic circle in so this is the first week taking my usual route since last December and only have had the bike since last August.Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts