Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the covers on my engine.
I rode on some highways through the tail end of a rain storm and I got what looked like water spots imbedded in the aluminum engine covers.
I started with polishing rouge,then some Pro polishing cream and finished up w Mothers billet polish.The metal is very shiny but I have what looks like salt corrosion that is polished in places,I can see it but can't feel it when I run my fingers over it.It looks like my old time Cal-Custom Chevy valve covers.
It's not terrible ugly but I think it's going to happen again.

I've figured 2 ways to cure this and need a little input on which way to go.
#1 is to put chrome covers on with my blackend bolts,I already have the bolts installed.
#2 is to powder coat the aluminum covers flat black and install polished SS bolts,then just chrome the swingarm and sprocket cover.
I'm kinda leaning towards the black.Anyone ever seen black covers w orange skins? Or could someone do a photo shop of an X w the black covers.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
George
5,411 Posts
I know its not black.... but WD-40 is a godsend with the salt air down here!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
i would say go with the black, but i guess I am partial to that, because that is what I am doing to mine... i think it would look great with the orange...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VrodG said:
I use the small power ball with them all, but wash the ball up in between each polish.

This isn't typical water spots,it's a chemical from the wet road,seems worse than cat piss.
I just went out and got the little one,I figured I'd try everything thing I can because I do like the aluminum on this bike over the chrome.
I got the swing arm fixed w some compound I use for buffing clear coat,then mothers brought the shine back.
It also appears that the side covers and cam covers have more magnesium in them than the swing arm and rear wheel.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
The black will look great. I just switched mine.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Had a few spots like that on my swing arm. Lots of elbow grease and Mothers Billit alum cleaner and they came out.

·
I know,I know..apes?
506 Posts
I had the same issues. I'm just lazy and got tired of cleaning. I had my al. covers powdercoated black and used the chrome bolt covers. I think it looks pretty nice. Of course my skins are black, but IMHO orange skins would look good with that. All I have left to do is the cam covers. I may do them in chrome.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts

·
Dog Is My Copilot
434 Posts
I've never tried the aluminum foil technique, but wet sanding works well on aluminum...it's a very labor intensive process, so I would consider it a last resort.

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
Try Metal Mania or Prism polish. The metal mania made my crappy looking oxidized polished swingarm look almost as good as chrome!!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I got it looking good again.I used different compounds and finished w mothers.Mothers powerball is a joke,like trying to use a wet noodle.I used a 45 degree Mac dye grinder and a selection of buffing wheels.I didn't try the foil thing either.I can't remember when I've been this concerned about damage to one of my bikes.
I'm gonna look into the black powder coating of the engine covers and add some SS and chrome,might even get a set of stock wheels chromed,but for now I'm almost ready to ride it to KC.
I just pulled it out of the garage and it hasn't been washed w soap and water yet.I don't have any before pics.
Polishing aluminum is hard,I am by no means a polisher!

Elrod on the V-Rod

Attachments

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a take off set and painted them,it's tough to keep the paint on them and a PITA,the're coming off soon.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts