Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate the time and effort it takes to polish the natural strips on the rims, the swing arm, covers, triple clamp.

I ride the bike almost daily and don't take the time to polish it a lot, but when things get dull grey it is time. After about 4 hours it looks great, except for around the screw indents.

What a waste of time.

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Scotchbrite then...............

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Its a full time job keeping the alum in good order wish i had an all black bike...

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts

·
revolt on
44 Posts
throw it in a fire for 1 minute then drag it out... medium well done... all black...

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
A lift makes wheel clean up super easy. Even the all black XR wheels show a lot of dirt.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No doubt a lift makes it easier, but for the natural stuff it takes rubbing time.

Black would be good, but I'm thinking a gray so it doesn't show the dirt as much.

More correctly; a dark charcoal color that comes from Type III hard anodizing.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Mother's Powerball mini and a good drill, cordless or otherwise

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mother's Powerball mini and a good drill, cordless or otherwise
Yes a powerball saves time and does an excellent job shining up the aluminum but dont leave the cordless drill in your laundry room for a week cause laundry lint/dust is a biyatch of a thing when you fire up the drill!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've been applying "Pig Snot" to the bare aluminum parts after polishing and it has done wonders for extending the time between polishing. I honestly only need to polish twice a season now. (unless I'm stupid enough to park my bike next to an irrigated flowerbed while at the beach). When I wash the bike I reapply Pig Snot to the wheels. Only wash the bike maybe 6x/year

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What?!? Pig Snot?

I don't think the local Kragen's has it.

Assuming you don't have a pot belly pig as a pet; where do you get it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a set of slotted wheels from an '06 Nightrod that have been powder coated gloss black wiht nearly new Metzlers if your interested. I just replaced these with a custom set also PC'd black.

I too have been frustrated with having to clean the "polished" aluminum. I have taken the path of powder coating.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Cyclegear has pigsnot.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
most bike shops, even some HD shops, carry PigSnot or Amazon.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts