Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VRSCAW Rider
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have a 2007 VRSCAW and had been putting up with the clutch until recently when I bought a Ducati Sportclassic which has a much much better clutch. The thing I hate about the VRSCAW clutch is that it sort of does this shuddering/grabbing thing in 1st/2nd gear just as it starts to catch. The Ducati clutch by comparison does no such thing (it is dry).

How can I fix this on the Vrod ? Would a slipper clutch make a difference ? Anything else I can modify easily to significantly improve the clutch action ? Making it slightly lighter would also be nice, as I do drive in town quite a lot too...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Never had slipping of my clutch I would say your due for some service... Fluid been flushed and what oil are you using in your bike?

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
slipper clutch will definitely make the lever lighter by 20%. it has 4 springs vs. pre 2008 5-springs clutch. For performance, i don't know, but i am happy with my clutch upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Mine has the Barnett Kevlar clutch and does the same thing if I give it a little more gas than clutch when taking off or am slow to release the lever when downshifting to first. Not sure of the cause though.
Ed

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Slipper will make a difference. Big difference and well worth the price to do.

But if you are feathering the clutch to get it to chatter you need to let it out all the way sooner.

You do not have to feather this clutch.

I have chattered my slipper a couple of times until I realized to let it go and man what a difference.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Sounds like there is an underlying issue with your clutch. How many miles on it?
The clutch fluid, & brake fluid for that matter, in the '07s likes to wick in moisture which causes all types of problems. If it has never been done on your '07, it's time to drain, flush, and refill your DOT4 fluids, unless you live in the dry part of London

·
Registered
78 Posts
You do not have to feather this clutch.

I have chattered my slipper a couple of times until I realized to let it go and man what a difference.
You mean, to get moving (we're talking regular riding) you just pop the handle and the clutch takes care of the take-off all by itself? That would explain the "slipper" part of the name I guess... Can you please elaborate on that?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Folks,

I have a 2007 VRSCAW and had been putting up with the clutch until recently when I bought a Ducati Sportclassic which has a much much better clutch. The thing I hate about the VRSCAW clutch is that it sort of does this shuddering/grabbing thing in 1st/2nd gear just as it starts to catch. The Ducati clutch by comparison does no such thing (it is dry).

How can I fix this on the Vrod ? Would a slipper clutch make a difference ? Anything else I can modify easily to significantly improve the clutch action ? Making it slightly lighter would also be nice, as I do drive in town quite a lot too...

Thanks in advance
The standard clutch can get "heavy" on the hand when used a lot. The slipper will help with this as the operation is different. Thrown out weights provide the pressure to the plates to make them grip. Lighter springs allow some slipping when pushed by the rear wheel during heavy engine braking.

With your clutch I think the mechanism has some problem and it needs striping down. This could be damage to the clutch basket, plates or the operating mechanism.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
You mean, to get moving (we're talking regular riding) you just pop the handle and the clutch takes care of the take-off all by itself? That would explain the "slipper" part of the name I guess... Can you please elaborate on that?
The slipper clutch has a "back-torque limiter". Thus the reason for the name "Slipper". The built-in centrifugal tightening device allows for lighter springs as a bonus. lmgtfy

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Absolutely not.
The slipper clutch is used in motorcycles for downshifting in corners.It helps keep the rear tire from hopping while doing this.
On the engine side when torque is applied,the same ramp system of the slipper clutch holds the pack as it over rides the apply springs.This benefit of the enhanced clamping force works great for drag racing.

If the clutch is chattering,it needs to be diagnosed the same way as one would without the slipper ramp system.
The number one reason I have seen for clutches to chatter on the V-Rod is from the operator using the friction zone excessively and causing damage.The other is from using improper oil.
This is on a daily rider,not V-Rods used for racing.

·
VRSCAW Rider
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely not.
The slipper clutch is used in motorcycles for downshifting in corners.It helps keep the rear tire from hopping while doing this.
On the engine side when torque is applied,the same ramp system of the slipper clutch holds the pack as it over rides the apply springs.This benefit of the enhanced clamping force works great for drag racing.

If the clutch is chattering,it needs to be diagnosed the same way as one would without the slipper ramp system.
The number one reason I have seen for clutches to chatter on the V-Rod is from the operator using the friction zone excessively and causing damage.The other is from using improper oil.
This is on a daily rider,not V-Rods used for racing.
It is probably my fault, i.e. the cause is probably the former, not the latter. I have put in an order for a slipper clutch, I am hoping that (and me learning to shift properly) will solve the problem.

Thanks all

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
My slipper clutch does the same thing. It's not a smooth engagement. As I let the clutch out it feels like there is a high spot on it that grabs then releases. I had hoped that the change to AMSoil would correct the problem, but it didn't change the symptoms at all. It's not bad enough that I've even considered replacing the clutch, but it is happening, and I can only assume that it will get worse.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It is probably my fault, i.e. the cause is probably the former, not the latter. I have put in an order for a slipper clutch, I am hoping that (and me learning to shift properly) will solve the problem.

Thanks all
Don't mess w the clutch until you have done the oil change.Use a quality 20-50 motorcycle oil.I use Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil.
Zink is the magic ingredient for the clutch frictions.:)
What ever oil you choose,before you buy it,look it up on the internet and check the PPM's of Zink.The material used on the frictions of the clutch system in the V-Rod require at least 1400PPM of Zink.
You should notice a difference right away if the oil was causing the chatter.If it doesn't go away completely,then I would start looking into the slipper as your replacement.

There are other things that could cause a chatter,but like I said above...........

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
No you misunderstand how a slipper clutch works... It is designed to "slip" when downshifting to prevent the rear wheel from "compression" locking up which is a real bitch in corners if you hit them hard... It is not designed to "slip" if you just pop the clutch lever, if you do that make sure your holding on :)... If you have a variable pressure clutch, it is designed to add more pounds of force as the rpm's go up, these clutches are used in drag bikes... Hope this helps explain the difference... Under normal conditions, you do as you always do when taking off, let the clutch lever out gradually as you apply throttle...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Could the problem possibly be from the stock hydraulic line expanding and contacting? I would also flush and change the clutch line fluid. Your clutch hydraulic cylinder might need a rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts