Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great running V-Rod (11.29), but the new 600 sport bikes are quicker (11.00's or less). I dragged a guy with a new Honda 600F4 from a standing start to about 120 mph (about 1/4 mile). We stayed dead even to about 50 mph and he slowly started inching away from me. By the time we shut down, he had about 2 bikes on me (.25 sec or so). He did say That's the fastest Harley I have ever seen but I still hate it! The big bore kit (ChopperSteve ran 10.80's over the weekend) is in my future. I know I could go the easy route and slap on an ugly NOS bottle and run mid 10's with ease, but I prefer normally aspirated machines. Rant over.

John

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Big Bore

John that big bore kit is sounding better all the time.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
John, what is the exact set up on your v rod? Have the heads had any work? I told a guy down at Morgan and Wacker (the stealership) what you run (ie 11.29) and he said you had to have more than pipes, flash and filter to do that.:confused:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Karl,

It's not what he's done but how well he's done it. John and a couple others have gotten their bikes tuned to put ~118 HP to the rear wheel. Couple that with the 28T pulley and a good rider and low 11's are certainly possible.

Tell your stealer to do a little more research :eek:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Karl,
Mark is correct. The 28T pulley is good for .2 to .3 sec. I dynoed 117 RWHP topless with oxygenated fuel. No flash but tuned with the Power Commander. But it's still not fast enough!

V-Mods
SE A/F
28T Pulley
PCIIIr
Topless
Oxygenated Fuel

John

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
John,
Easy Route MY ASS!Rob I have more time and money into my setup then any Big Bore Kit!I wanna see how Fast I can go with stock motor and Bolt ons before I get Crazy and Rebuild my Engine!You don't just Slap on NOS and Double Your HP.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
John you can do anything as long as you have the time and money to do it!Nobody makes a good Bolt on kit.You can custom make one"My Kit was about 2k" then labor to install and tune another 1k.Race Tuner $ .Special Clutch$$$$?Chain Conversion$,AirShifter$LABOR$$?It goes on and on.You might get 1 pass or 100 it's all a GAMBLE when it come to NITROUS!:diablo:

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Super Kaz said:
John you can do anything as long as you have the time and money to do it!Nobody makes a good Bolt on kit.You can custom make one"My Kit was about 2k" then labor to install and tune another 1k.Race Tuner $ .Special Clutch$$$$?Chain Conversion$,AirShifter$LABOR$$?It goes on and on.You might get 1 pass or 100 it's all a GAMBLE when it come to NITROUS!:diablo:
Kaz, I understand ALL of that, but to go 10.60's is MUCH easier than trying to break into the 9's. Thus much cheaper too.

John

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Maybe at Your Track!;)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it may be easire to go fast at Pomona than it is in Vegas, but, it's still going to be easier (thus cheaper) to go 10.60's than 9.99 at the same track no matter where you are.;)

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The ratio of speed vs. money is exponential. The biggest gains are usually made with the least amount of time and money in the very beginning. It's that last 10% that will make you crazy.

One of the reasons I got out of the boat racing was the spiraling costs. I spent 15K to go from 68 mph to 78 mph, another 10K to get to 82 mph. To be competitive in my class I either had to drop back below 80 (not likely) or get to 90. The jump to 90 mph would have set me back another 25K - 30K (supercharger, out drive package, pistons, crank, headwork........). Hardly worth it IMHO so I got out of racing and enjoyed the 82 mph boat for another 2 years.

Kaz can always take off the training wheels and slick and have a kick as* boulevard rocket ;)

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Mark,
My plans are to run my number" sub 9.99" at the next couple of times at the track then get a spare rear wheel to mount my slick on.That way I can put my 240 back on and run it on the street.The gearing is much to agressive for any long rides but it sure would draw a croud at the 7-11!:eek:

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Now I'm sure this is just a girly answer - but why not get a 600 sports bike?
You could ruin the engine on that by racing and keep your VRod for looking incredibly cool on. And it'll still be faster that most things on the road.
;)
Christine

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's not just going 9.99 in the 1/4 mile that's the target, it's doing it on a V-Rod without any internal engine modifications.

If it was easy then everyone would be doing it and if everyone was doing it then where's the challenge?

Buying a sub 10 second bike would be easy. Kaz never does anything easy :diablo:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.