Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out to bleed my rear brake and almost rounded off the bleed screw.
Damn factory numpties covered it in Loctite :banghead:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just been out to bleed my rear brake and almost rounded off the bleed screw.
Damn factory numpties covered it in Loctite :banghead:
Pretty sure the bleed screws come preinstalled on the caliper. Did you use the correct sized wrench? Becareful us numpties are always watching. :stilpoke:

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure the bleed screws come preinstalled on the caliper. Did you use the correct sized wrench? Becareful us numpties are always watching. :stilpoke:
As far as I know it was the right size - doesnt help that the bleed screw is made of cheese. Who the hell puts loctite on a bleed screw? In 30 years i've never had one fall out!
How can it come preinstalled - how would they get the brake fluid in?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
How can it come preinstalled - how would they get the brake fluid in?
preinstalled in that they are already threaded into the calipers, maybe not completely tight though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stevel, I just pulled a bleeder valve out of a spare brembo rear caliper and no loctite. However, it takes a 3/8" wrench and if you used a 10mm that is why you stripped it.q

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Stevel, I just pulled a bleeder valve out of a spare brembo rear caliper and no loctite. However, it takes a 3/8" wrench and if you used a 10mm that is why you stripped it.q
that's the reason I use an adjustable wrench for my bleeding jobs on this damn machine. 90% metric until you get to the real P.I.T.A. bits.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that's interesting - why the hell would Brembo tap a UNF thread when Europe has been metric since 1960? Brembo bleed screws are (should be) 6mm on this type of caliper , 8mm on Radial calipers and 10mm on car calipers.
I'm guessing that Harley specified it to be so :banghead:

My bleed screw was covered in blue loctite though :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
Now that's interesting - why the hell would Brembo tap a UNF thread when Europe has been metric since 1960? Brembo bleed screws are (should be) 6mm on this type of caliper , 8mm on Radial calipers and 10mm on car calipers.
I'm guessing that Harley specified it to be so :banghead:

My bleed screw was covered in blue loctite though :(
What was the reason for bleeding the brakes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts