Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Had that on a brand new tyre exactly 3 days before heading off on a big Euro road trip :(

Stuck one of those vulcanised plugs in, and it's still there doing its job 1 big road-trip, several smaller ones, a track-day outing and about 3000 miles later.

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
Stuck one of those vulcanised plugs in, and it's still there doing its job 1 big road-trip, several smaller ones, a track-day outing and about 3000 miles later.
What’s this?

I usually just take it to a tire shop and have them patch/plug from the inside of the tire
NEVER RIDE MORE THAN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY ON A PLUG.
Take it to a dealer or bike shop for internal patch and its fine

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm mostly an idiot but, on the rear I've always just gone with a steel-belted rated plug and gone the life of the tire...I've done that 3 times now with no issues. Once early on the trip home from Sturgis, on a 40 thousand dollar CVO. I've picked crap up on the front tires over the past 35 years and always just replace the tire all together, regardless of tread. A boot-plug will definitely save your bacon AND your wallet, on the rear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm mostly an idiot but, on the rear I've always just gone with a steel-belted rated plug and gone the life of the tire...I've done that 3 times now with no issues. Once early on the trip home from Sturgis, on a 40 thousand dollar CVO. I've picked crap up on the front tires over the past 35 years and always just replace the tire all together, regardless of tread. A boot-plug will definitely save your bacon AND your wallet, on the rear.
Guess I'm also and idiot because for the last 44 years I've refused to throw away perfectly good tires. But what do I know, I've only rode Harleys since 1974.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A lot of testimonials about the use of plugs, but for the cost of a tire Vs my azz, I always opt for my azz and replace the tire. Cars are a different story.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,668 Posts
Unlike the others, Dynaplug is a TUV rated permanent repair.

EDIT: Looks like they removed language about being TUV, so I assume it isn't. Regardless, since Dynaplug doesn't damage the plies like other plugs, don't see any reason for it to be considered temporary. When considering a patch: Tire manufacturers have been pretty consistent saying that they do not recommend a patch because it allows water to saturate fabric plies in the tire. Patch/plugs are a different story. Myself, I have never seen or heard of an example of a modern plug coming out. By modern I mean mushroom head or dynaplug style plugs. Suffing pieces of rubber/glue saturated cord into the hole with one of those dime store repair kits is just a crap repair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Massive link but, this is what I use. Radial rated plug to get me home, and final repair with this...never fails, by my experience, and definitely stops the water-migration mentioned above. If or not you can get a tire-shop to install it is another thing...I have the equipment in my shop so I do it myself. Again though, I'd never trust ANY repair on the front.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?...37d3c6ed84492c8a3_t-1523108654&segment=badger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I was very lucky - the garage found the screw was mainly just jammed in the groove of the tread and hadn't penetrated the tire itself - so the tire has been saved!

To get a new tire was going to be $280 + labor as well- these 240's aren't cheap!

What sort of miles do you guys get on a Vrod's tires (I was getting about 12,000 on my Dynas 180).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

I was very lucky - the garage found the screw was mainly just jammed in the groove of the tread and hadn't penetrated the tire itself - so the tire has been saved!

To get a new tire was going to be $280 + labor as well- these 240's aren't cheap!

What sort of miles do you guys get on a Vrod's tires (I was getting about 12,000 on my Dynas 180).
You can get Michelin Scorcher II rear tires for $232 in case you're ever looking. Not sure what mounting and balancing is going to be, haven't gotten to that yet.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Had that on a brand new tyre exactly 3 days before heading off on a big Euro road trip :(

im with you.. ill take one of the regular old tar plugs, lube it with the rubber cement it comes with. and poke it in, cut it off nice and close and rock and roll.. did this for years on my R1, did it on my vrod as well. Never had an issue before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.