Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely a sad day. Engune seized up Monday and just now got the head 9ff to discovery my greatest fear. Dropped a valve.

Look at pics I am including and tell me if this engine is either toast or repairable.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Liner and piston can be replaced but you would need to strip and inspect further to be able to say if it is toast or repairable. The liner looks pretty bad so you need to find out if anything was picked up by the pump and sent down the oil galleries to the crank etc. Most things can be repaired but it depends on how much you are prepared to spend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I see I can get a used engine off ebay for 1600. Then 250 to ship. Put my screaming eagle heads on it. I'm thinking it will cost more than 1900 to fix this one. What u think?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
As I said it's impossible to call without further investigation. If everything else is untouched then a piston and liner kit will cost a lot less than that, but..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I said it's impossible to call without further investigation. If everything else is untouched then a piston and liner kit will cost a lot less than that, but..........
Do you know anyone in TX can help me rebuild it?

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Those OEM Valves have the heads welded on the stems and are not really up to the original build standard - I'm surprised they got into that Porsche designed engine. I would be concerned about the rod and crankshaft being damaged / weakened as well. The member here BadVRod I believe may still be around in Texas or pull the engine & ship it to Fitzgerald Motorsports he could probably save your red case and install S/E heads with new racing valves even a 1/4" stroker rod for more power. Used engines can be a crap shoot you don't know what kind of forces they went thru if off a badly crashed bike ask for a photo of the bike - miles, comp. check and a warranty etc. Me I'd rebuild what you got put some nice go fast goodies in it now you got something better with new parts for the fast long haul -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have screaming eagle heads. Many other upgrades.
Those OEM Valves have the heads welded on the stems and are not really up to the original build standard - I'm surprised they got into that Porsche designed engine. I would be concerned about the rod and crankshaft being damaged / weakened as well. The member here BadVRod I believe may still be around in Texas or pull the engine & ship it to Fitzgerald Motorsports he could probably save your red case and install S/E heads with new racing valves even a 1/4" stroker rod for more power. Used engines can be a crap shoot you don't know what kind of forces they went thru if off a badly crashed bike ask for a photo of the bike - miles, comp. check and a warranty etc. Me I'd rebuild what you got put some nice go fast goodies in it now you got something better with new parts for the fast long haul -
I have screaming eagle heads and many other upgrades. Including pics. How much for Fitzgerald to fix it?
20210319_140124.jpg
20210319_140058.jpg
20210418_143320.jpg
From(Greg Holloman (gregholloman@gmail.com))_ID(31556_2)_FB_IMG_1544508798631_Subject(Re_)_Dat...jpg

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
I have no idea so many factors just call him & see what he says - I'd replace the rods, go to a new 1/4 " crank I'm thinking maybe $ 6000 - 8000 ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts