Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had enough! After all the crap I have had with this tuner Im sick of it. I really think my autotune was defective. First issue was dead batteries (bought a battery tender) then after hours of calls I sent the unit back to Nick who sent it to zippers, who sent it back to Nick who sent it back to me....said they found and issue ...it was missing a driver.....same issues, idle sucked, sounded like I had the cam from hell, battery still went dead, sluggish performance. I started calling zippers.... after talking to james, turns out I had "Beta" software! Now why the hell they didnt see that when I sent it in is beyond me! I talked to James some time back and sent him my map, but never heard back from him, nor did I get the revised map back. I know he is busy dealing with all of us with issues, but damn! For as much as this unit cost it should work right. The theory behind this unit (autotune) really appealed to me and I tried...man I tried....but now im back to the race tuner and pissed I wasted so much time and money for nothing! Thanks Guys and Gals for letting me vent!

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I don't understand how some of these units are trash and some work fine like mine i have thousands of miles on mine without any problems. I'm sure glad i don't have to deal with James cuz customer service seems to suck ass. I still have my dyno tuned pc3 just in case but my tm sure runs better than it.

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn, that sucks. I don't understand how some of these units are trash and some work fine like mine i have thousands of miles on mine without any problems. I'm sure glad i don't have to deal with James cuz customer service seems to suck ass. I still have my dyno tuned pc3 just in case but my tm sure runs better than it.

Dunno, maybe I got one made on friday while the dude was daydreaming about boobs & beer, or monday after too much beer.

As much as I paid for the damn thing it hurts to trash it...I really think it may be the autotune causing the issues (other than the dead battery). Yeah they sure blew some smoke up my arse getting me to spend so much for it...but if it in fact worked I would have been happy to spend it. You would think with all my issues they would have just sent a whole new system, if nothing else to keep me quiet. Who knows-one thing is certain-I wont be buying ANY Zippers products!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kinda hard to believe after all the trouble they never offered to send a new setup to see what the problem was. Was really considering their product but doubt I will think much else about it now...

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you would think so! it was put on by Nick and dyno'd before I left to come back home. So go figure.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I kind of get a perverse joy in smashing defective elecTronic devices. The financial loss sucks but it is good for the psychi. I went Office Space on a shite Wal-Mart version LG Blu ray player earlier this month, felt good. If I wasn't in an apartment I would have doused the wreckage with lighter fluid afterwards.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Same boat... I screwed with the T-Max for a few weeks on my turbocharged '06. I NEVER could get it to run right. The first day I could actually ride the bike. After that it was two weeks of just trying to get it to start and stay running! I spent HOURS on the phone with the dyno guy and finally gave up. I stuck the stock ECM with the PC IIIusb back on it and it has run great ever since. I too think my unit was defective, but I still had to pay the 20% restocking fee when I sent it back. Not a good experience. I just bought a PCV for my new-to-me '09 AW and will never consider T-Max again.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
With all the problems reported here I am surprised anyone would buy a T-max. I just like to "set it and Forget it"

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same boat... I screwed with the T-Max for a few weeks on my turbocharged '06. I NEVER could get it to run right. The first day I could actually ride the bike. After that it was two weeks of just trying to get it to start and stay running! I spent HOURS on the phone with the dyno guy and finally gave up. I stuck the stock ECM with the PC IIIusb back on it and it has run great ever since. I too think my unit was defective, but I still had to pay the 20% restocking fee when I sent it back. Not a good experience. I just bought a PCV for my new-to-me '09 AW and will never consider T-Max again.

at this point I would be happy to pay the 20%, however thats not good business sense on their part. word of mouth can be a killer. I know that I wont consider anything from zippers....now whether that is justified or not, just how I roll...screw me once-you wont get another chance. Funny thing with as much work as I have done to my bike I have people asking about what is it, who did it, where can I buy it etc etc
I could have sent them alot of business. More importantly, sometimes you just get a dud, or a product that doesnt have the reliability, best thing to do is say your sorry, refund money, help find a product that works....you do that and I will be your customer for life. have the same lawn guys, same HVAC company, same electrician. same gun dealer....on and on. I am loyal to those who do me right..doesnt mean cheapest! Just doing the right thing.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
In my job it's very important to listen to customer misstakes or even more important... a not working product. i work for a company who designs,manufacturs and sell's doorintercom products. Benefits of learning from defective set ups is we can make it better. or make it more user friendly. Therefore i cannot understand Zippers wont stand up here.
When i had to make a dissision which system to buy it had to have a autotune cuz i dont want my bike see beeing trashed on a dyno..rather do that myself. Thundermax was among the first with that. I'm on my knee's the sytem worked from day one for me. Beeing in europe does not give me a strong position to get 'any' service.
My gut feeling tell's me if a thundermax/zippers expert would take a look he would have found the problem.

If I had your problem... that ecm was on the moon right now.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the tm worked well for me with the standard motor but when i installed the st 2 cams it couldnt seem to auto tune itself.i contacted james at zippers and he worked on my setup over the next month or so via emails and trying different adjustments until he got it sorted for me. im completly happy with the free help he gave me ..what more can i say.maybe some mods are outside the abilities of the auto tune to work properly.i think open exhausts with no backpressure may be one.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'll gladly take that POS off your hands if you would like

·
RIP Jerry
956 Posts
Dunno, maybe I got one made on friday while the dude was daydreaming about boobs & beer, or monday after too much beer.

As much as I paid for the damn thing it hurts to trash it...I really think it may be the autotune causing the issues (other than the dead battery). Yeah they sure blew some smoke up my arse getting me to spend so much for it...but if it in fact worked I would have been happy to spend it. You would think with all my issues they would have just sent a whole new system, if nothing else to keep me quiet. Who knows-one thing is certain-I wont be buying ANY Zippers products!
Yea its kinda the same story.. they send out a new map it starts out great and then goes to shit. Auto tune has a glitch or something. You would almost be better to just turn the auto tune off but why since the whole selling point is "auto-tune". Seems to only be related to the vrod as i know others with fxr's/twin-cam and they run great.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Yea its kinda the same story.. they send out a new map it starts out great and then goes to shit. Auto tune has a glitch or something. You would almost be better to just turn the auto tune off but why since the whole selling point is "auto-tune". Seems to only be related to the vrod as i know others with fxr's/twin-cam and they run great.
Jebhuling had the same issue with his '08AW and the auto-tune detuning. He finally loaded the new basemap, ran it for 500 miles, then disconnected the auto tune.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, so PAY for the auto tune then have to disconnect it?! In a previous post it said James worked it out over a month (s) . To me, they know there is an issue. What it is, I have no idea. Much smarter to research it, test it, fix it THEN bring it to market....dunno, just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts