Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for a new '08 AW so I hit all of the local dealers over the last few days and I was completely blown away by what I saw at Destination Daytona (Rossmeyer's shrine in Daytona).

They had an '08 DX on the floor yesterday with a $22,600 price tag on it. Today the bike was gone and they "claim" they sold it for $22,600!!!!!

40 miles down the road Seminole has an '08 DX on the floor at MSRP. 60 miles down the road Gator has one that I'm sure will go for MSRP or less. A number of dealers have left over '07 DX's that are MSRP or less.

WHAT BRAIN DEAD IDIOT PAYS $4000 OVER MSRP FOR A V-ROD THESE DAYS!

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
perhaps one who didn't do their homework and fell in love at first sight. I would have paid 22 for mine if that was what they where asking. all I knew was that I had to take this peice of art home, the price was just a number.

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
EVERYTHING at Rossmeyer's is way over priced. I seen also seen a Destroyer there this year with a price tag of $33K but was on sale for $31K. Yet the dealers here in Nashville were selling them for around $28k which I believe is about the list price.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought my 06-D for 17,500 :deal: .It sucks learning the hard way.:spank:

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
mjw930 said:
I've been shopping for a new '08 AW so I hit all of the local dealers over the last few days and I was completely blown away by what I saw at Destination Daytona (Rossmeyer's shrine in Daytona).

They had an '08 DX on the floor yesterday with a $22,600 price tag on it. Today the bike was gone and they "claim" they sold it for $22,600!!!!!

40 miles down the road Seminole has an '08 DX on the floor at MSRP. 60 miles down the road Gator has one that I'm sure will go for MSRP or less. A number of dealers have left over '07 DX's that are MSRP or less.

They are BS'ing you. I was there last week for their Labor Day sale and saw that exact same DX. The guy I talked to told me $18K plus their BS fees (~$1k). This is before negotiation. Their "listed" price is out of whacked but when you are ready to buy, they are ready to deal. I bought my D there and I had to WORK to get the price I wanted. It took me almost a week. I hate them! If I was buying a new bike now, I would go with another dealer.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've posted about this dealer and their rediculous prices before.I geuss they figure some dumb ass will eventually buy it.

I sat on a 105th anniversery yesterday and was very impressed.I fit right on the bike,the seat felt perfect and so did my posture w the style of bars. it was demo day at the local dealer and I guess it was a corporate sponsored event.As soon as I started the bike,a guy came running over to me and said the rides were over for the day,I was almost tempted to get permission from the owner of the dealer to take the bike home over night just to get his goat,but then realized he was probably just beat up from the days events.

Mark,just for the helluvit give Ocala a ring,talk w Mark the F&I manger and see what he can do for you,they normally sell for MSRP and sometimes have their own dealer invoice price.I paid less than 16k for my 03 when they were high priced around the state.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
wow, an idiot and his money soon part

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Must have came with the helocopter ride and all the other bells and whistles.:deal:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sudolg said:
Yeah, but you are going on what the dealer said. Who knows what is actually true.
I realize that and I know all about the Rossmeyer dealerships and their sales tactics, I've lived here for over 10 years. What was comical was we were standing next to 2 '07 D's with sale tags on them for $12,995.

I can only go on what their sales manager tells me but logic tells me that the bike probably went for around $18K +++.

As for who would pay that, I would think that anyone who was intelligent enough to have $23K available to spend on a totally discretionary item would at least know that there aren't ANY Harleys selling for over MSRP anymore. It doesn't take that much work to find that out.

As for buying an AW at MSRP, that ain't gonna happen. There are at least 2 local dealers in the Orlando metro area what will lop $1000 off MSRP before we start negotiating hard. The only VRSC they won't deal on are DX's, they are still hot enough to command MSRP almost everywhere.

My problem is I want a bike they don't have. It seems getting ABS is a hit or miss proposition because most dealers don't take the time to review the details of their allotment, they just take whatever Harley decides to build them.

I'll probably have to wait until after the new year to let dealer stock catch up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There are a lot of people with $$$ to burn and don't care about wasting time negotiating, etc... They see something and want it now and they buy it. It's actually a good thing for those of us who need to negotiate to be able to afford a bike, car, etc... These dealers are a business and when a customer pays the inflated amount, it boosts their bottom line beyond their projections, therefore making it possible to hit their projected profits / sales by quarter end by giving out a few deals that they can go lower on.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jacothedog said:
There are a lot of people with $$$ to burn and don't care about wasting time negotiating, etc... They see something and want it now and they buy it. It's actually a good thing for those of us who need to negotiate to be able to afford a bike, car, etc... These dealers are a business and when a customer pays the inflated amount, it boosts their bottom line beyond their projections, therefore making it possible to hit their projected profits / sales by quarter end by giving out a few deals that they can go lower on.
That is evidenced every year when people come down here for Bikeweek and buy bikes with $4000 mark ups simply because they get caught up in the whole atmosphere and lose their minds. Rossmeyer has made a career of screwing out of towners selling them Canadian allocation bikes (must be listed as used on the title applications) for $2000 - $4000 over MSRP. He used to put his dealership allocation bikes in a warehouse and would only sell his "purchased" bikes during bike week and Biketoberfest back when you had to wait a year to get a bike out of Harley.

I don't think selling these at inflated prices has any benefit to those of us who want a fair deal. If anything it lets the dealer play hard ball knowing that eventually someone with more money than brains will pay the inflated price.

Regardless, Rossmeyer could price the bike $2000 below MSRP and I would be hard pressed to give that fat bastard any of my hard earned money. It still amazes me that he's been so successful considering his horrid business ethics.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
jacothedog said:
Yep, if someone is making 500k a year, time is money. I don't agree with it, but some folks just don't do their homework, or could care less.

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
jacothedog said:
:them:

One of the unwritten truths of sales

1 - 20 of 32 Posts