Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New Kid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By "this" I mean Harley... V-Twins... Cruisers in general (if you consider the V-Rod to be one). I picked up a 2004 VRSCB yesterday afternoon. With only 4K miles on the clock... I couldn't help it. She really is a beautiful machine. I have wanted one ever since I read the "spy reports" about HD's secret project. A decade later... here I am.

I am out enjoying the beautiful sun and roads in Orange County, CA. I am not new to motorcycles in any way. Unfortunately, I had to go through 8 Sportbikes to get here. After my 3rd accident that resulted in a total loss (08/10/2010), I decided it was time to finally realize my dream of owning a V-Rod. The insurance company came through with just enough to pay cash for the bike and pay the registration. I have already logged over 100 miles... and I have to say that it is a sweet ride.

One question before I start pulling my bike apart trying to figure out the answer myself. When I purchased the bike, the keys had fobs on them that I imagine are linked to an alarm system. When I push the button on the key... it doesn't do anything. Should I assume that the alarm was removed or disabled somehow? I don't want to go pulling thing apart and then find out that every bike gets the fobs and it just isn't linked to anything yet.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Or the batteries in the fobs, could be dead. Also, without the accessory alarm only the lights flash, no sound.
Ed

·
New Kid
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or the batteries in the fobs, could be dead. Also, without the accessory alarm only the lights flash, no sound.
Ed
Now that I feel like an idiot for not checking the batteries in the fobs first. :banghead:

I'll check that when I get back home. If the batteries do turn out ot be fine... where would I locate the alarm itself? That will have to be my next place to look.

·
Noel
4,611 Posts
Now that I feel like an idiot for not checking the batteries in the fobs first. :banghead:

I'll check that when I get back home. If the batteries do turn out ot be fine... where would I locate the alarm itself? That will have to be my next place to look.
It's hidden under the passenger seat, seat comes off easy.

Under here, you will either find a Turn Signal Module or Turn Signal & Security module.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Replace the battery. Then with the ignition turned off, press the button on the FOB. The turn signal lights should flash twice. If they do and you do not hear anything then you have a security system without an Alarm. The Alarm was an optional item to be purchased separately at an exorbitant price.
If the turn signals do not flash then something is wrong with the security system itself. If they do flash then the system is armed and you should not be able to start the bike.

Go to your dealer and order a Owners manual, about $20. There is a wealth of information about how to manage the security system, setting PIN codes etc.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
welcome!

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts
Welcome!

Even if the security system has no siren, you will hear 2 "chirps" when it arms. That did not change on my '04 when I added the siren.
The two chirps are coming from the siren. It and the horn are the only two noise makers on the bike. If yours chirped before adding the siren then you already had a siren.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new Bike. Have fun here,Ride safe
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the bike and glad it is all working now !

·
Registered
20 Posts
New to me 04'

I just picked up my second Harley. My first was a 77' XLCR. This one is an 04' V Rod thats totally stock with 1456 miles onit. It's never even seen the rain! That wont last.

It didn't come with an owners manual or any tools. Did it come with any from the factory?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
It didn't come with an owners manual or any tools. Did it come with any from the factory?
No tools but yes to the owners manual. Not much info in the owners manual though. You are better off getting a service manual. Oh and :vrodforu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think I'm newer

Nice to meet you draconis! I think I take the cake though as the newest of noobs. Before July of this year I had never even ridden a motorcycle. After taking a class at the HD dealer, I got an '03 vrod for my first bike. Probably a little nuts but I'm loving it so far. I live in orange county too, and I've been riding Santiago Canyon road regularly and loving it. I still pretty much ride like a grandma, but I'm getting more comfortable by the day. I did get her up to 9K on the upper part of Jamboree the other day and it was f*n sweet.

I definitely recommend picking up an owners manual. I got one off eBay for $20. I was also able to find a free .PDF service manual that should come in handy.

I'd love to meet some other vrodders in the OC. Let me know if youd like to ride sometime!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts