Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first trip from Columbia, SC on my 2011 F to South Florida and back. I would like some feed back from you guys. I've found myself doing 50-5500 rpm on I-95 in order flow with the traffic at about 80-85 mph. When the road is empty, I would come down to about 45-4800 to stay at 70-75 mph. It felt smooth however I have a little bit of a hard time getting use to it. I went through about a qt. of oil. Is this the way it is? I was easy on it through the whole time even though I was often overtook intentionally by EVO models as if I'm a new dog in the yard. Funny. The whole trip was incredible on the Vrod comparing to my old Softail that I went around the country on it. Talk about Comfortably Numb. Although, I have to do something with the forward controls and the seat on the F like right away.

My first real post on this forum but I have been looking around for about 6 months. I've found many many useful informations from here and that's mainly what motivated me to purchase my new 2011 Muscle. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
You ride at a speed you are happiest at, but not fast enough or reckless enough to pickup tickets! Someone passes you, so what! Riding route 95 is always "fun" and you better be moving!
Seats are funny things to get right, Harley seats tend to be the way there are for style, not so much for comfort. The sundowner is better than stock, you would need to check if nor fits your bike.
Welcome!

·
Registered
164 Posts
that sounds like a great trip. as stated above, ride at whatever speed you feel comfortable at , but take into consideration the faster the speed the faster you will get a ticket. the funny thing is i changed over to a vrod f model to get away from speed. after 20 years sportbikes, i was ready to slow down and cruise. to me this bike is perfect for that. although compared to most other harley models its "SUPER FAST" to me @125 hp its rated at is really slow coming from 185hp superbikes for 20 years. so in my eyes its just built for cruising and i dont consider speeding on it. to each his own but i like to keep it anywhere from 65-80 on the highway.dont care if i get passed. those days are over for me.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
I'm now hypnotizing myself while warming the motor to keep below the radar....
Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
The oil burning is a common problem. Wind it up to the redline in second gear and then let it wind down to 3k, do that two or three times a day for a week and it will stop burning oil. Revo's love a good beating.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
oil consumption.. short answer: NO it is not normal. Most of those reporting this issue tend to baby the engine. Those of us that "ride it like I stole it" since day one report less issues with oil consumption. High rpms, lots of engine braking, and enjoy the ride.

do a search for "oil consumption" for many many threads & posts on the topic

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Changing over to Amsoil tends to help oil consumption as well.
:them:

Find a Group Five full synthetic oil that you can find regularly and use that. Amsoil is one, so is Lucas and Mobil-1. Incidentally, Autozone stores all carry Mobil-1 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil, which is handy if you have one nearby.

·
Premium Member
11,364 Posts

Find a Group Five full synthetic oil that you can find regularly and use that. Amsoil is one, so is Lucas and Mobil-1. Incidentally, Autozone stores all carry Mobil-1 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil, which is handy if you have one nearby.
Advance Discount auto parts stores also carry it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

be very careful, not all of Lucas Oil's syns are wet clutch compatible.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
You ride at a speed you are happiest at, but not fast enough or reckless enough to pickup tickets! Someone passes you, so what! Riding route 95 is always "fun" and you better be moving!
Seats are funny things to get right, Harley seats tend to be the way there are for style, not so much for comfort. The sundowner is better than stock, you would need to check if nor fits your bike.
Welcome!
The sundowner was my FIRST mod..I can ride 200+ miles without getting cranky. :moped:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oil consumption.. short answer: NO it is not normal. Most of those reporting this issue tend to baby the engine. Those of us that "ride it like I stole it" since day one report less issues with oil consumption. High rpms, lots of engine braking, and enjoy the ride.

do a search for "oil consumption" for many many threads & posts on the topic
That's true. Just because it's new and all shinny staring at me every morning so I tend to be gentle. I will stop babysitting.

I have to go back to West Palm Beach this weekend, I will keep an eye on the oil.

Thank You everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts