Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I go into second gear and kind of Hit it (Not Racing style just freeway entrance type shite) the bike pops out of second and back into neutral. My Upper gears (4&%) are seeming a bit "Lacking" also around 5000rpm. I Changed plates not more than 10k ago and Just did the Clutch fluid. What the Frig?

Thanx For Listening.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Possibly time for the shifter fork upgrade? I know on the 02-03 they had problems with a weak shifter fork. My 02 was doing the same and also popping out of third and back into 2nd. I had the upgrade kit put in last month. So far so good....

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
jbake515 said:
Possibly time for the shifter fork upgrade? I know on the 02-03 they had problems with a weak shifter fork. My 02 was doing the same and also popping out of third and back into 2nd. I had the upgrade kit put in last month. So far so good....
Dead on. How do you feel about cracking open your motor Lux?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
jbake515 said:
Dejavue - I thought I was back on the V-Max list. Early model V-Maxes had the exact same problem - popping out of 2nd.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I thought you had the shifter fork upgrade done a while back... I'll have to do some digging.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
jbake515 said:
What did that cost...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
If it's just second then I would check all my shift linkages for binding first. If you pop out of all higher gears and it drops back down then that would be a sign that the shift drum ring is loose and time to do the upgrade to the new shift drum and shift forks.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rjrivero said:
I dont like that idea at all and now my Tech is gone.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Max said:
If it's just second then I would check all my shift linkages for binding first. If you pop out of all higher gears and it drops back down then that would be a sign that the shift drum ring is loose and time to do the upgrade to the new shift drum and shift forks.
IS this the same Drum I saw when I did my plates? Forks I do not know.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
luxlamf said:
IS this the same Drum I saw when I did my plates? Forks I do not know.

No David the shift drum is deep inside the trans. It had a washer pressed on the original but later they pinned it so that it wouldn't spin. Reading the other thread it sounds like yours may have been changed already.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'd clean and lubricate all the moving parts of the external linkage; if it still pops out take advantage of that warranty!

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
rjrivero said:
I would imagine he'd feel more comfortable sticking large objects...well, you get what I mean.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbake515

What did that cost...
Dunno..... Haven't gotten the bill yet.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Shift Linkage off and the one side was a very stiff, cleaned the hell out of it, lubed it up with Graphite & Liquid Wrench and we shall see.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
luxlamf said:
Got the Shift Linkage off and the one side was a very stiff, cleaned the hell out of it, lubed it up with Graphite & Liquid Wrench and we shall see.
Stiff can be good but not when your talking about shifters. :)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Max said:
Stiff can be good but not when your talking about shifters. :)
Or when your "Popping In & Out of 2nd" . Hey Now!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
luxlamf said:
Well that wasnt it, still slipping and all. Now I need to find a New Tech in Socal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts