Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left my ignition on all day today while I was at work. Came out to turn the ignition on...and realized that it was already on:banghead:

Long story short....my wife eventually came and we jumped the battery from her car (although it took awhile for the battery to get enough juice).

I have read on the forum that jumping from a car, could cause problems such as frying the instrument cluster, voltage regulator etc.

Do I have anything to worry about, or am I being a little paranoid?

The bike is currently on a trickle charger.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would worry about the battery. Discharging all day under taking it under its end cell voltage could have heated and expanded the plates. I would charge the battery, and then test it. Depending on age you may just want to replace it.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
it happened to me twice and i always jumpstarted it with car. nothing fried so far :D still using the same battery since i bought the bike used in 2008. No worries, buddy!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
it happened to me twice and i always jumpstarted it with car. nothing fried so far :D still using the same battery since i bought the bike used in 2008. No worries, buddy!
:them: except bike is an '07AW

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had to jump start mine with a car a little over a year ago because I didn't turn off the bike after arriving at work. No problems since. Good choice to get it on a trickle charger just to finish topping it off.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Mine has been drained twice since new in 05 and both times I charged it back with a battery tender with no issues so far. never tried jumping it, but what else can you do when you are stranded? If it didn't fry anything when you jumped it I would assume you are in the clear as far as damage goes but you should keep an eye on your battery to make sure it will fully charge now.

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Now I just need to get my wife to stop busting my chops about it. I don't think she will ever let me live this down.

Thanks again!

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
del, sorry to hear about that. I'll make you feel better and admit I did the same thing 2 weeks ago after my air ride install. I ended up having to pick up a new battery... Get that thing prime for the 26th!!! The route is posted... ;)

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Shoulda bump started it and not had to call the wife.... lol.. cant be given grief for what they dont know happened.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's only happened to me once...took a ride and we stopped for chow... came back to find the ignition still on.
That's also when I found out we can't push-start them with an empty battery. }:) ((electronic ignition))
Someone there gave me good advice which I have done every since, and have never had the problem again....

Keep the bike on RUN and use the key to turn it off. That way you always have to remove your key and never leave the ignition on.

Works for me. }:)

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoulda bump started it and not had to call the wife.... lol.. cant be given grief for what they dont know happened.
Tried that. I couldn't get it started. Up until that point...I thought I was in pretty decent shape. After pushing that thing up and down the parking lot about 5 times....I thought my chest was on fire!

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's only happened to me once...took a ride and we stopped for chow... came back to find the ignition still on.
That's also when I found out we can't push-start them with an empty battery. }:) ((electronic ignition))
Someone there gave me good advice which I have done every since, and have never had the problem again....

Keep the bike on RUN and use the key to turn it off. That way you always have to remove your key and never leave the ignition on.

Works for me. }:)
That would work...but I don't have a key...I have a fob. It looks like I will just have to be OCD about ensuring that the ignition is turned off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This happened to me about 5 times in a span of 18 months. The last one was about 3 weeks ago. After the last episode I noticed that the battery is no longer holding the charge (or the cranking amps was reduced), because it does not have enough juice to start if I let it sit for a couple of days or crank it 3 times consecutively. I tried to buy a new battery from the dealership and they told me the battery have a 2 year warranty, so they replace it. No fried electrical.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
When I first got mine I went out to eat and was horrified after dinner to see my lights on. The whole time I was eating I had a nagging feeling that I forgot something. Didn't need a jump as it wasn't a long time.

Regarding jumping from a car, I understand it's safe to do as long as its done with the car off, so just the juice from the car battery? Is this false?

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I left my lights on the other night and now my battery is toast and needs to be replaced :|

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not an idiot, just happens. I had it happen shortly after getting the bike when I stopped at a friends house, came out dead. We jumped with his battery cables while the car was running, no problem.

I now carry the little battery tender adapter with battery clips with me so I don't have to take anything apart, then again it hasn't happened again...

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Tried that. I couldn't get it started. Up until that point...I thought I was in pretty decent shape. After pushing that thing up and down the parking lot about 5 times....I thought my chest was on fire!

lol damn that sucks. i thank god the bikes are soo light when I do BRC's cause my students like to leave ignitions on and kill the batteries when I don't keep a good eye on making sure they all turn em off. esp in the spring when its cold I end up bumping bikes off way too often. Good workout though lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts