Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start?

My 2009 NRS has Brembo brakes, right? So that means it has Brembo Calipers (It still frosts me that it has the HD logo on it), Brembo pads and Brembo rotors, right?

So, if all that is true, will other makers pads fit the Brembo calipers? Will other makers rotors work as well?

Lastly, I had a an oil cap come off while driving the NRS some time back. Oil got everywhere, including all over my rotors and therefore, I assume, my pads. After all, the brakes were almost useless for some time on my way to solve the problem of uber low oil. Should I change my pads?

Thanks.

Phatass

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the pads are H-D specific for the Brembos. You can get other brands like Lyndall but between Manufacturers (ie: Ducati to H-D) are not the same. I would think a can of brake clean sprayed on the pads and rotors should remove any oil contamination but it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. If still running stock wheels the the rotors are specific to the VRSC line (except '08-'10 AW which came with the spoked front wheel and therefore use a traditional bolt pattern rotor).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
EBC makes brakes (rotors and pads) for most OEM applications. They have stock style and full floater rotors that fit the V-rod and pads that fit the calipers.

If you had nearly no brakes, but then they came back it would appear that you burned off the oils that got on the rotors. However:
1) The safest thing to do is replace the pads after a very good cleaning of the rotors.
2) A less safe option would be to clean the pads and rotors with brake cleaner and maybe rub the pads over a piece of 80 grit sitting on glass.
3) The least safe option would be to do nothing other than wash them with soapy water and give a good rinsing since you indicate that they started working.

I don't know your level of risk acceptance, so your call. But, I suggest alternative #1.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
where to start?

My 2009 nrs has brembo brakes, right? So that means it has brembo calipers (it still frosts me that it has the hd logo on it), brembo pads and brembo rotors, right?
lmfao! There are a lot of options for the 09's.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Where to start?

......... (It still frosts me that it has the HD logo on it), ..........

Phatass
If this frosts you wait until you see the new Michelin tires on the 2011 V-Rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts