Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the “right” answer is to buy a bike with factory ABS, but nonetheless, what would it take to add ABS to the non ABS muscle? I have so much invested in my bike and made it absolutely perfect and right for me that taking all that stuff off isn’t practical at all.
Has anybody attempted such retrofit or this is complete utopia?
I imagine with enough patience most parts can be sources both new and used

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I know the “right” answer is to buy a bike with factory ABS, but nonetheless, what would it take to add ABS to the non ABS muscle? I have so much invested in my bike and made it absolutely perfect and right for me that taking all that stuff off isn’t practical at all.
Has anybody attempted such retrofit or this is complete utopia?
I imagine with enough patience most parts can be sources both new and used

Thanks!
Why would you want it? It's the most troublesome, unreliable badly designed piece of crap ever to be called ABS!! Should never have passed the safety tests needed to get into production!!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Why would you want it? It's the most troublesome, unreliable badly designed piece of crap ever to be called ABS!! Should never have passed the safety tests needed to get into production!!
I agree. While it's ok and kept me up once, I don't think I'd put that kind of money into a flawed system. Just did my 2 year fluid flush with my TwinScan ABS cycling tool. I must admit I shit bricks until I feel it pulse and kick the lever and peddle back, giving it a clean bill of health and still functional within it's crappy ability.
Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I had no idea the factory option is that bad. I quite like it on my other bike (BMW R1200GS) and didn’t think it can be troublesome and unreliable.
My V-Rod brakes are phenomenal other than that. I run Galfer rotors and Lyndall Gold pads all around and brakes feel absolutely great sans ABS. I do annual brake fluid flush regardless of how many miles I put on a bike

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thank you guys. I had no idea the factory option is that bad. I quite like it on my other bike (BMW R1200GS) and didn’t think it can be troublesome and unreliable.
My V-Rod brakes are phenomenal other than that. I run Galfer rotors and Lyndall Gold pads all around and brakes feel absolutely great sans ABS. I do annual brake fluid flush regardless of how many miles I put on a bike
9 out of 10 times what kills the ABS unit in the HD design is not doing the 2 year flushes, which cycling the ABS unit as part of the flush process. This can be done at the dealer and there are a couple of ABS flush utilities available for home use. Old brake fluid can cause corrosion on the pintles in the valve body causing them to stick and the unit fails as does either the front or rear brake peddle to get rock hard and not operate. That's not unusual in itself as some autos have experienced the same from lax maintenance for scheduled fluid changes. Where the HD ABS is lacking otherwise in is the small encoder size withing the bearing itself compared to say your BMW or others with a larger slotted ABS disc. While the HD unit works, due to the small dia encoder it's resolution is coarse between the two wheels in comparison to an encoder disc of a larger dia. If you got the HD abs, look after it and it should be fine. To go out and retrofit from standard to ABS is , at least to me, a waste of money for the extra gain it might have.
Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes total sense now. I’m pretty good at maintaining even “flawed” design but in these circumstances I see that perhaps it does not make much sense to retrofit. BMW is a totally different beast with much more advanced brakes (not only ABS but also linked together), stability control program, etc.
V-Rod is a raw machine for which I love it as it is and I’m quite used to it’s performance without the ABS so I guess I’ll leave it alone ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
9 out of 10 times what kills the ABS unit in the HD design is not doing the 2 year flushes, which cycling the ABS unit as part of the flush process. This can be done at the dealer and there are a couple of ABS flush utilities available for home use. Old brake fluid can cause corrosion on the pintles in the valve body causing them to stick and the unit fails as does either the front or rear brake peddle to get rock hard and not operate. That's not unusual in itself as some autos have experienced the same from lax maintenance for scheduled fluid changes. Where the HD ABS is lacking otherwise in is the small encoder size withing the bearing itself compared to say your BMW or others with a larger slotted ABS disc. While the HD unit works, due to the small dia encoder it's resolution is coarse between the two wheels in comparison to an encoder disc of a larger dia. If you got the HD abs, look after it and it should be fine. To go out and retrofit from standard to ABS is , at least to me, a waste of money for the extra gain it might have.
Ron
Quite insightful and very informative. Thanks, I have learned something here.(y):cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts