Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'd rather be riding
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to jack my bike up using a Sears motorcycle jack. The oil pan is very slightly lower than the frame rails (probably 1/4" at most) but appears to be made out of a pretty sturdy metal. I wanted to make sure that the weight of tbe bike on that section isn't going to cause a dent, or even worse a crack. Also, do you think the frame rails under the fuel tank would support the bikes weight? It seems that I would have to place the jack more toward the rear of the bike to make it not tilt too badly due to all the weight in the rear.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
The rear frame rails under the tank are to small to hold the weight of the bike IMHO, but putting the jack under the frame below the motor is fine. The motor will move up just enough when the jack lifts into place. Myself and many others have been doing it for a long time.

·
I'd rather be riding
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured. How about offsetting the upward tilt of the front end? Should I just use the tie downs that came with the jack & use them on the front?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
The rear frame rails under the tank are to small to hold the weight of the bike IMHO, but putting the jack under the frame below the motor is fine. The motor will move up just enough when the jack lifts into place. Myself and many others have been doing it for a long time.
I've seen bikes at the dealer on an air lift. The front wheel securely chocked in the wheel holder, and the rear lifted by the small triangle in the rear to do work on the rear wheel. I know it's not the WHOLE weigt of the bike, but it is a good percentage. FWIW.

RJ

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
rjrivero said:
I've seen bikes at the dealer on an air lift. The front wheel securely chocked in the wheel holder, and the rear lifted by the small triangle in the rear to do work on the rear wheel. I know it's not the WHOLE weigt of the bike, but it is a good percentage. FWIW.

RJ

Would you lift your bike that way?

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
4stroker said:
That's what I figured. How about offsetting the upward tilt of the front end? Should I just use the tie downs that came with the jack & use them on the front?

If you put the jack as far forward as possible under the frame the bike is very steady. I did my entire 240 kit without tying the bike down and didn't have any trouble at all.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
Would you lift your bike that way?
In order to get the motor out of it, you have no other viable choice. When you take the front lower legs off, you have alot of lever action on the larger tubes. :2cents:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
it makes me nervous but I do exactly what Mike has described.... I place the rear of the stand in front on the gas tank section of the frame and jack it up. Once it gets both wheels off the ground it is very sturdy surprisingly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts