Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I installed new bars last night. I was hoping the bars I chose would not need a longer clutch line...wrong!

I know this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know the length of the stock clutch line on the R?

I haven't removed mine yet and I was hoping to get one ordered today.

·
Banned
654 Posts
davetpilot said:
Help!

I installed new bars last night. I was hoping the bars I chose would not need a longer clutch line...wrong!

I know this is a shot in the dark but does anyone know the length of the stock clutch line on the R?

I haven't removed mine yet and I was hoping to get one ordered today.
dont know if this interest you but i just put a set of road king custom bars on my 05 SE because there was no other 1 1/4 bars i could find to give me the look and pull back i needed for my short arms. i didnt want to replace the clutch line in case i dont like the bars plus it is pain to snake it out and get the new one in.

i used a 10 mm #3 AN straight fitting from Russell and took a 3/8 bolt and ground down on 2 sides. i bought 3 of the rubber banjo washers and bolted it all together with flat washers at each end. i used a Russell 10 mm 35 deg #3AN banjo fitting at the master cyl. i was able to curl the extra line up behind the steering neck right in front of the mount for the Airbox cover. i then was able to adjust the fitting to point towards the front of the side cover and attached the correct length line to exit out the front where the wires go.

it works fine. if i get time i will remove the cover and take some pics. it is kind of hard to see because it is behind all the wires and connectors on that side.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DPierce02,

That's nice work. I love creative ways around spending a billion dollars for changes. I'm not really following what you did. Obviously, you added a line. Is that a brake line?

The bolt that you mentioned. Couldn't really follow what you did there.

Thanks for the pictures. As it turns out, I found some extra slack in the line. I needed to move the line in between each tie wrap and make sure it slid through the tie wrap. The wraps were holding it back.

It didn't feel like I was making any progress; a few centimeters here and there but when I got all the way back to the reservoir, I had about 1 1/2" extra. It was more than enough. With the bars turned all the way to the right, I still have some slack in the line with no pulling.

Thanks again for your posts.

RODent,

Thank you for your post as well. I will keep that in mind for future projects. I didn't know that part existed. It gives a little hope to us rodders that manufacturers will create parts for us to perform true modifications.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
654 Posts
davetpilot said:
DPierce02,

That's nice work. I love creative ways around spending a billion dollars for changes. I'm not really following what you did. Obviously, you added a line. Is that a brake line?

The bolt that you mentioned. Couldn't really follow what you did there.

Thanks for the pictures. As it turns out, I found some extra slack in the line. I needed to move the line in between each tie wrap and make sure it slid through the tie wrap. The wraps were holding it back.

It didn't feel like I was making any progress; a few centimeters here and there but when I got all the way back to the reservoir, I had about 1 1/2" extra. It was more than enough. With the bars turned all the way to the right, I still have some slack in the line with no pulling.

Thanks again for your posts.

RODent,

Thank you for your post as well. I will keep that in mind for future projects. I didn't know that part existed. It gives a little hope to us rodders that manufacturers will create parts for us to perform true modifications.

Thanks again.
Dave thanks for the compliment. i am also a cheap SOB as well thats why i usually end up spending more than if i bought something that already worked.

in this case i think i saved some money and if i like the bars i will eventually replace it with one the correct length.

that was the clutch line and yes i added a new line. an extension if you will.

i was able to get enough length with the original line as well but the line just didnt look right. it went down at an angle and i had to route it outside the upper triple tree.

all i did was take a 2 inch 3/8 bolt and grind 2 flat sides to let the fluid flow from one banjo fitting to the other. i sealed it on each end and the center with the standard banjo washers that are used on the resivoir connection.

that gave me the freedom to use the Ruessell #3 AN Lines and hardware and angle it and orient to exit out the front of the cover as the photo shows.

i also had to replace the front brake lines with the Russell lines and fittings but now i can put on any lenght bars i want and all i have to do is replace the line from the resivoir to the junction and lengthen the wires if needed. i was lucky and the wires were long enough for these bars.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. I like it. Very innovative.

Fortunately, as I stated in my last post, I ended up having enough clutch line, (still goes through the triple tree). I got it all together tonight and took it for a VERY short ride. What a difference! It feels like a different bike. It feels bigger, more comfortable and still maneuvers well. (I dove it into a couple of corners during my short ride just to make sure. :wazzup: )

I bought the Stainless braided cables that go to the A model right off the shelf at the dealership. They were a little pricey but I got them for 20% off so less than $95.00. The cables fit perfectly and the throttle operates better than it ever did.

Anyway, I know that :worthless but I want to give it a good wash before taking the pictures. I hope to post tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts