Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Never trailered a bike before, so I'm wondering if the wheel chuck is entirely necessary. Number one, I'm using straps rated to 1,000 lbs. Number two, can't I rig something (with help from local welder) to keep the front wheel fixed?

·
George
5,411 Posts
paarrowman said:
Hey all,
Never trailered a bike before, so I'm wondering if the wheel chuck is entirely necessary. Number one, I'm using straps rated to 1,000 lbs. Number two, can't I rig something (with help from local welder) to keep the front wheel fixed?
Not necessary.... but sure makes life simpler!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Chock it. It's worth it.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
rjrivero said:
Chock it. It's worth it.

true, and good ratchet straps. I use 2 at each point. I made a nice, strong front wheel chock for my sled trailer and feel MUCH better now. I made it up out of 4 inch channel and it works perf. I have a pic around here somewhere....

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
here's a couple pics. I just chopped up a chunk of 4 inch channel iron with a torch, guessed at the angles a couple of times to get them right and ground off my rather sad welds enough so no one would notice.

Bolt it through something strong, like cross members, not just plywood.

I have a v-rod trailering horror story that would curl your nose-hairs, so I made this....

:kaz:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
call me crazy but youre over thinking this. 4 ratchet straps. kickstand down, two in the front, two on the rear, ratchet them down to compress the forks. dont drive like a fool, remember your trailering valuable treasure. ive never had any issues this way. and as per usual..opinions are like assholes...but this is mine

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
IMHO trailering a motorcycle without at least a front wheel chock is a recipe for disaster. To take it to the extreme you should also have a rear wheel channel but with a good front wheel chock and the proper tie downs that is rarely needed.

The reason for the chock is quite simple, it prevents the bike from sliding out from underneath the straps. The loading straps will compress the bike and hold it against vertical movement. The angle of the straps will help in lateral movement from the top of the bike but without a locating point at the bottom of the bike it's fairly easy for the bottom of the bike to skate across the trailer / truck bed floor leaving you with a bike that has all it's straps intact but lying on it's side........

Pingle wheel chocks are about the cheapest ones out there that work and are a required minimum IMHO. I use Condor stand up chocks and will never go back to a "basic" chock but that's because I'm lazy ;)

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Wheel chocks are a must if u are trailering your bike, in the back of pickup not so much, but on a trailer YES. I just returned from the KC rally with my homemade trailer, w/ dectachable air dam and wheel chocks. Make sure you order 5" C-Channel, 4" is not wide enough. Mine are 24" x 24" welded together and bolted with grade 5 bolts, also I double nutted them with some red loctite. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Speed limit exempt
167 Posts
paarrowman said:
Hey all,

Parrowman, I'm right down the road from you in Reading. I had some issues with trailering my bike that I posted on here before, and that was with a wheel chock! I can't imagine trailering it without a wheel chock, once I had it secured properly, I could have rolled the trailer and the V would have been
hanging upside down in the trailer. 2 tie downs on the front forks pulling forward, 2 on the rear foot pegs or top shock bolts pulling forward, front wheel in a Bike Pro wheel chock, over 600 miles of trailering and didn't move an inch. Also, at another members suggestion, I put a couple of 2x4 pieces of wood stacked under the frame to help eliminate too much compression of the forks, and prevent the suspension bounce from allowing the tie downs to release. Bottom line, as someone said before, in the back of a pickup, not a big deal, in a trailer, definitely chock the front wheel.

·
Registered
147 Posts
bigjim50010 said:
and as per usual..opinions are like assholes...but this is mine
HAHAHA Here is my opinion. RIDE IT......... I always double strap the front bars, 2 on each side just in case one gives loose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. All good advice, and I'm definitely gonna chock it. Thanks also for those who sent pics! Now I can debate the decision of whether to buy the Pingle or have the welder down the road make one with 5" C channel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Chock it you will be glad you do! OhioVrod nice work :notworth:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Are you sure yawl dont own airheads? V-Rods are ment to be trailered.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
Are you sure yawl dont own airheads? V-Rods are ment to be trailered.

Hey just personal prefence thats all.:spank: I would have loved to road mine out to KC but I got to much stuff to take with me, only makes sense to some.

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
:stupid:

...because...:ithappen:

I tow mine in a 20ft enclosed car carrier...ramp back door with beavertail, side 48" door. I ground the front tire against an ATP tool box in the front of the trailer, then tie down to two recessed floor-mounted D-rings...and cinch down the ratchet straps until the front suspension compresses. Then, I ratchet strap down the rear to two more recessed floor mounted D-rings, and cinch those down until the rear suspension compresses.

...AND, DAMMIT, I'VE STILL HAD IT SLIP TO ONE SIDE...!!!! DAMMIT - DAMMIT - DAMMIT!!!! But, mercifully I checked on it during a gas stop and caught it before it completely fell over. Man...what a head trip...my heart started pounding when I saw it canted at a go-to-hell angle with the front fork and wheel turned to the left...another 5-10 miles and it surely would have been on it's side.

My advice...use some sort of wheel chock. I won't trailer without one in the future, believe me....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts