Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am changing the front and rear wheels bearing. I don't know how to take it out. Please anyone tell me how.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
knock them out with a metal drift that you can fit on the inside of the spacer inside the hub next to the bearing.you may have to apply sideways force on the spacer to move it sideways to allow purchase on the bearing.knock the bearing out evenly by moving around the bearing as you remove it. raassemble the new bearings on the side with the lip first then spacer then other side.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I seriously doubt the bearings are going to be knocked out.
I use a blind hole bearing remover on a slide hammer.
Some people take their wheels to a motorcycle shop to have the bearings properly removed.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Yes. The tool is 300 bucks, and unless you do bearings often, just take the wheels to the dealer to do correctly. Joe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I google the puller bearing kit. Yeah, $300 for the kit. I call the Advanceautoparts. They will let me rent it for $10. I change the front D wheel to Muscle wheel. The bearing on the Muscle wheel one side is 1/2 the other side is 3/4. I don't understand why. My front D wheel has 1" spacers.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
The bearing on the Muscle wheel one side is 1/2 the other side is 3/4. I don't understand why. My front D wheel has 1" spacers.
Did the Muscle wheel come from a bike with ABS?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
no bearings can`t be reused after removal.. and if not installed properly they won`t last long either...the shop manual will tell which side is the primary bearing to be installed first... you tap it in till it bottoms then install the bearing spacer and tap the other side in till the the spaces is a fairly tight fit ,, should be able to slide the spacer but it definately can`t be loose at all or the bearings will fail very shortly... removing and installing bearings isn`t quite as easy as it appears.. and on most hd`s you can`t get enough room sliding the spacer over to get a drift against the back sided of the bearing to drive it out...the hd bearing puller or a slide hammer with an expandable collet is the only good way to get them out... might be easier to let a professional tech do the job... i have seen several wheels ruined by improper bearing installation...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i have replaced too many wheel bearings to count in the years as a mechanic using the method i explained .you dont need fancy tools.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
if the bearings are not the same on both sides, ABS.
Nope, bearings are a one time install. Getting them out ruins them. Ray or Tyson, chime in. While I realize factory standards are different, I understand side loads, and there is no way to remove them without placing a side load, ruining the bearing, or, setting it up to fail. For 50 bucks, be safe!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My local advance auto parts shop has the bearing puller. They let me rent it. I will bring the wheel with me to get the fitting size. Anyone know what size of the bearing on the D model? 08 VRSCD

·
Registered
399 Posts
i have replaced too many wheel bearings to count in the years as a mechanic using the method i explained .you dont need fancy tools.
You do on these. There is not the slightest bit of area to get a drift on. It's a whole different setup than you are used to.

·
Registered
399 Posts
no bearings can`t be reused after removal.. and if not installed properly they won`t last long either...the shop manual will tell which side is the primary bearing to be installed first... you tap it in till it bottoms then install the bearing spacer and tap the other side in till the the spaces is a fairly tight fit ,, should be able to slide the spacer but it definately can`t be loose at all or the bearings will fail very shortly... removing and installing bearings isn`t quite as easy as it appears.. and on most hd`s you can`t get enough room sliding the spacer over to get a drift against the back sided of the bearing to drive it out...the hd bearing puller or a slide hammer with an expandable collet is the only good way to get them out... might be easier to let a professional tech do the job... i have seen several wheels ruined by improper bearing installation...
Good info. I will add that it is preferable to PRESS the bearings in rather than beat on them. In either case ALWAYS USE A BEARING DRIVER so there is no force (thrust) applied to the center race or seal. Use anti-seize. Forget the H-D tools and buy Jim's.

For most DIY 'ers it makes no economic sense to buy the bearing tools. It's a job best farmed out to a pro in most cases.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
I will add that it is preferable to PRESS the bearings in rather than beat on them.
:them: In addition, you must make sure that the bearing is perfectly level before you press it in. If off ever so slightly, you're fukced.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I used my neighbors hydraulic press, with a socket that matched the OD of the outer race, to press in the bearings on my new wheels.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You do on these. There is not the slightest bit of area to get a drift on. It's a whole different setup than you are used to.
well then i must be superman because i was refering to v rod wheels as well..the spacer can be disloged enough to do this.you guys are wrong.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
well then i must be superman because i was refering to v rod wheels as well..the spacer can be disloged enough to do this.you guys are wrong.
Please tell us, for our enlightenment, what is your life expectancy on a wheel bearing? Put it in miles, so we peasants can understand.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
OH SUPERMAN...

PLEASE SAVE US!!!!

I dunno. For my $4K worth of BST Carbon Fibers, and $500 worth of ceramic bearings - methinks I'll PAY SOMEONE with the PROPER TOOLS to perform this critical work (and make THEM RESPONSIBLE for any damage to wheels, hubs, bearings, etc.)...

Just sayin...

Peecee happens to be a pretty talented wrench, but I think very few shade-tree wrenches are going to want to attempt this without the right tools. I'm a pretty talented wrench, but I would either BORROW the tool from my service manager (since I've lent them specialty tools I have), or just pay them to do the swap for me.

Rick

1 - 20 of 37 Posts