Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, i have just a few days left before my unit heads to the Sandbox for an undetermined number of months.

I originally planned on teaching my wife to ride and having her take the Vrod for a spin once a week or so. This was the plan last summer anyway but being only 5'3, her right leg rubs the exhaust. She's simply too small for it and I never did come up with a plan B. Now im down to just a week left and I need figure out my plan.

Ive heard many ideas on what the guys in my unit are doing: everything from fuel stabilizers and disconnecting battery, to running it till it dies and draining all other fluids.

Im not so concerned with moving it periodically so the tires dont get flat spots. Ill just buy new tires when i return. But what other things would anyone recommend before putting her to bed for all of 2011?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thank you for your service.

If inside storage, there isn't really much to do. Clean it first.

No need to worry about the flat spots, but do air up the tires and if there is a small leak someone will have to add air at some point. If they go flat and look it the sidewalls could be damaged.

Will the alarm be on? Are you going to set the TSSM in storage mode? If so, the AGM batteries are good for 6 months or longer so a battery tender won't be needed. Don't rely on someone to start it now and then to keep the battery charged, just get a tender. Even disconnected the battery will slowly discharge, but an AGM does so much slower than the old wet batteries.

Drain or use most of the fuel then treat it with Stabil or other fuel stabilizer and run it a few minutes to ensure the stablizer is in the system.

Change the oil, circulate it, and you will be good to go.

For good measure you can fog the engine. It really isn't needed, but it won't hurt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, very useful information. It will be sitting in the corner of my garage, cleaned and under some soft cotton sheets. I dont see a need to set the alarm in my garage so ill just be locking the handlebars. I figure if someones in my garage who shouldnt be, i have much bigger problems than the Vrod.

I do not know how to set the TSSM to storage mode as I do not have a service manual yet. Any additional thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

Ill be changing the oil and will burn remainder of fuel with the additive.

Thanks again for your suggestions

·
Back in Black
2,584 Posts
Bring it to my house I'll keep it in good shape.
Battery tender is your best friend. a little fuel stabilizer never hurts. Have someone clean it every once in awhile. COME HOME SAFE, change oil add good gas and drive it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I pulled the owners manual out to send you the instructions, but find that the storage mode will only last for 60 days. The TSSM receiver will be on and will eventually drain the battery.

If you don't use a charger you'll need to disconnect the battery or the TSSM will drain it.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the pages.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
connect it to a battery tender
change the oil
top off the fuel cell (more fuel in the system = less space for condensation)
Throw some fuel stabilizer in there
and that is all.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Place the bike in a big ol plastic bag, use a vacuum cleaner and suck all the air out of it, pack it up in a crate and ship it to me... I'll take it out of the crate, remove the plastic bag and ride it for you until you get back :)... I'll even spring for the shipping cost to and from :)... Seriously, thanks for your service, keep your head down and come home safe...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Place the bike in a big ol plastic bag, use a vacuum cleaner and suck all the air out of it, pack it up in a crate and ship it to me... I'll take it out of the crate, remove the plastic bag and ride it for you until you get back :)... I'll even spring for the shipping cost to and from :)... Seriously, thanks for your service, keep your head down and come home safe...
Then it will fit under the bed!

·
Dragon
92 Posts
i ride 12 months so i usually don't have a storage issue but - here is what i do with my triumph - whic i only ride 2-3 times / year.

1. put it on a small lift and raise it till most of the weight is off the wheels - it also helps me move the bike to the corner of the garage. block the lift because they loose pressure over time.
2. top off the tank and put some stabil in - i've been running boats for years and trust me you do want it topped off.
3. if you think you are going to be a year then pull the plugs and and spray engine fogging into them (boating supply places have this)
4. spray fogging into running engine until it starts to die - this will lube all intake parts - do this before you fog the plugs (again - i'd only do this if i was going to be gone for a year)
5. use a battery tender - these things are awesome. i have the same battery my 02' was delivered with.
6. wipe everything down and put a cover on it.
7. i take 1 key and zip-tie it to the handlebar. (also give me directions to your house so i can ride while your gone:moon:)

...thanks for your service.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
With military members, there seems to be some conflicting info on the fuel tank. You need to Top it off and add stabilizer. You only remove fuel before you ship it with your household goods.
AOW and Vambo are right about what needs to be done.
If you don't lube the cylinders they will corrode. Another way to prevent this is to just start up the bike and run it for a few minutes a week. No need to ride it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Not a lot of confusion really. Just different views of what is enough.

Using a foging spray isn't needed, but it is easier. Pull the plugs, add a squirt of oil, and spin it over to coat the walls.

Condensation could be an issue, but in a garage in Arizona, not so much. Yes, if it was a steel tank do it to keep the tank from rusting, but I don't think it is an issue with the plastic tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts