Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I shopped my vette there was a ton of resources to access dealers on the net, including some awesome forums with dealers who you could talk to and set up a deal.

How do you guys go about shopping for a rod when it's not local. Do you just call up the dealer and speak to them over the phone? Or is there some kind of registry or bike list somewhere? (there is a national vette inventory list you can use).

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
When I was looking I went to every dealer in any town I went thru (travel while I work). That got very frustrating mostly from salesmen not caring to sell me a V-Rod. Local salemen really P'd me off. I called Hale's in Ohio and talked to Jeff. I bought the bike over the phone, no hassles, no surprises and was willing to do anything to help me.
I would at the very least call them ( ask for Jeff if he's still there) they have been good to the forums.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Rick when I bought my v-rod I found it in the Cycle-trader. Dealers in the range of 200 miles of here advertise there new inventory in the cycle trader. I called them up made an offer and a deposit right over the phone, went that weekend paid my money and rolled out. I ended up paying 4k less for the bike than my local dealer had it listed. Here is the dealer I bought from.

http://www.rockymounthd.com/

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
smoothrod said:
Rick when I bought my v-rod I found it in the Cycle-trader. Dealers in the range of 200 miles of here advertise there new inventory in the cycle trader. I called them up made an offer and a deposit right over the phone, went that weekend paid my money and rolled out. I ended up paying 4k less for the bike than my local dealer had it listed. Here is the dealer I bought from.

http://www.rockymounthd.com/
RockyMount is Ok, but Cox's in Ashboro N.C. will give you a better deal. Call 336-629-2415 ask for Robbie Cox, tell him V-Rod Barry sent you. A great stealership and they have a V-Rod tech which is extremely rare.:ride:

·
Third of 4
289 Posts
I rode my 98 Road Glide from SC to Oregon where the transmission destroyed itself. The dealer in Gladstone, OR – Team Latus Motors – took it in trade for my 07 VRSCAW. They say they will trade for most anything including pool tables, refrigerators, cars, etc. They were very accommodating to my wife and I and I felt the deal I got was right. At delivery we discovered some cosmetically damaged parts that were unavailable before I had leave for Sturgis. These were sent directly to me at home in SC as soon as they became available from Harley. Dan Pech is the ‘The Internet Motorcycle Sales’ guy with whom I dealt. (http://latus-hd.com/)

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's this new trend I see "we are a MSRP dealer" crap. I walked into my local dealer 2 years ago looking for a new 06, they pulled that MSRP dealer with me and I bought it somewhere else for a couple k cheaper. Well they have been servicing it for the past 2 years. The other day I mentioned that they lost my business on the 06 and if they wanted to lose my business on the 08 again by only offering MSRP. They didn't seem to care, the sales guys were just happy sitting around and shooting the shit on the latest baseball game. I'd be curious to see their commission checks.

I think I'll drop Hales and Zanotti's a call, they've been so good on customer service and prices on parts I'm thinking that translates to their sales as well.

Any idea how much shipping could be? I'm assuming add another 900 bucks for shipping or so?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Many salesmen at HD still have the attitude if you want it you will pay what we ask, they are not in a area with a depressed economy. It was only a year or so ago and alot of them were asking thousands over MSRP and the would laugh at you if you made an offer of less, so things have improved. The smart way to shop I think would be to check for city's that have a depressed economy and shop there.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The best and only way that I've found is to call them directly. If you have a decent dealer near you who is willing to search Harley Net for the bike you are looking for (VRSCAW or VRSCAWA (ABS)) and tell you what dealers have them then you can call direct (assuming they aren't inclined to do a dealer trade).

Bumpus H-D in Murfreesboro, TN just did very right by me. Give them a call @ (615) 849-8025. At the worst they should be able to search the allocation and let you know when something might be coming in.

Shipping should only run you about $650 from anywhere east of Denver.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've spoken to several dealers and they all said that the DX is in such high demand, especially since I want ABS, that I'm going to pay MSRP for it. I've come to terms with that so am dealing with my local guys. If you want to be an early adopter I guess you have to pay to play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts