Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, my shifter shaft snapped off, just outside the tranny, the last night of the Rally in KC. Everyone was very helpful, but there was no way to fix it there. Ray Connor (VrodCustoms) was incredibly helpful, as he sent me the new parts, as well as the stuff inside the case so I could see what was going on. I had Jerry (TaurusRJS) and Charlie (Cherder) over, with their ladies, for BBQ and Bike repair this afternoon, and we successfully managed to put the new part in. Here is whats involved:

1.) The part broke near the transmission, so I couldn't slip the shifter on the shaft stub like I did the first time it broke (yes, this is my second shaft failure. Both occurred about 9 months after a lay down which damaged, and required replacement of, the left side frame rail. I suspect it is not a coincidence).
In this picture, it appears that the broken area looks to have been exposed to the elements for some time. I'm not an expert in this, however. I'll be sending the pieces back to KC so they can look them over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2.) The pieces that Ray sent are shown below. The new shaft, the seal, and the pieces that the shaft slips into inside the transmission.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3.) First step is to get the bike up on a lift. Then we remove the outer circlip, exposing the seal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4.) The manual says to drill a hole, then use a screw to remove the seal. It was able to be pried out with a small screwdriver. This exposes the inner circlip, which is easily removed as well. Note that the two are different. (The black one goes back in first. The nickel plated one remains outside the seal.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
5.) The old shaft come out easily. The fun starts with the new shaft. Looking in the hole, it is apparent that the spring moves the assembly inside out of alignment! Working with a long screwdriver, we discovered that it takes a little force to get it to line up with the recess visible beyond the assembly shown in the first step. In our case, there was a 'snap' and then it lined up. Once it lined up, the new shaft slipped in just fine. We replaced the inner circlip, pressed the seal in, and replaced the outer clip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6.) We discovered that getting the bolt back into the shift arm would be a lot easier if we removed the front pulley cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7.) In the manual, it says that "some oil may be released" during the process. Turns out, some was quite a lot. I recommend putting a pan under the bike!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My partners in crime:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While it appears there could be some problems, we had a moment of concern (the part did shift), but we were able to get it lined up. The bike was in Neutral during the process. I estimate no more than 30 minutes were required, 1/3 of that time removing and replacing the pulley cover. The only tools required were a 10 and 11mm wrench, a circlip pliers, and a large (to act as a pry bar to align the innerds) and small screwdriver (to dig out the seal). An Allen socket is used to remove the pulley cover.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nate, I can't begin to thank you for the help getting home (and sending my glasses - doh!). Hope to see you at the Hogfest!

·
Inked up Irishman
2,829 Posts
Good to hear it Dannii great news that all went mostly smooth in the new install!!!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Damn Daniii sure wished you would have posted this thread on friday.I would have been prepared for all that oil.I broke mine in KC comine back from the drag strip.I was lucky still had about a 1/2 of shaft left,Ray gave me his
arm and linkage,we just beat it over the shortened shaft tighten the bolt and
replaced it yesterday also.
I was feeling out dealer prices all week.Was pretty ugly from $ 700.00 to
$ 3,000.00.said I'd have to split the cases.
Only advice I can add is do it yourself,and go slow,the insides can be a little tricky. Thanks again RAY for the parts and your help.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: The location of the shift arm on the shaft is surprisingly critical. Noticed I had it mounted such the shift lever was just a little different than before. Figured, what the heck. Then discovered it would jump out of almost any gear except first, when upshifted into gear. After consultation with Max, I relocated it (rotated it probably 1 tooth on the spline, counterclockwise), and now it seems ok.......

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Further update. Its not the adjustment (which I didn't figure was that critical). The shift drum has failed. This is a known weakness on the older bikes. The replacement part is pinned, while the older one is a press fit. the failure is probably unrelated to the shifteshaft failure (or at least directly unrelated). So the engine is coming out. I'll look at the clutch, front motor mount, alternator, and anything else that might wear, while its out.

Drat!

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm on the road the next two weeks......

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow. Old thread. Turns out NEVER remove a broken shifter shaft on a pre '04 bike when the bike is in neutral. Leave it in gear. There is another thread on this somewhere. The newer motors (mid 04b and newer) have a longer return spring. The short one can slip out of place when in neutral (more pressure on the parts).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts