Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking the sissy bar off of my bike and found one of the hex head bolts is stripped out. What is the best way to get it out. I have seen some kits you can buy where you drill and tap it with a reverse threaded type device and then take it out. Is that the best way to go?

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Use a TORX bit that is the same size or a little bigger and hammer it in. It will usually grip and pull it out

·
Pete K
192 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
Use a TORX bit that is the same size or a little bigger and hammer it in. It will usually grip and pull it out
I agree. Also dip it in valve grinding compound for a little extra "bite".

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Go buy a left hand drill bit that is about the size of the actual screw thread size. Example if I broke a 1/4-20 bolt I would purchase a 3/16" left hand drill bit and use a drill and try to back the screw out with it. Then just simply rechase the threads with the proper tap. If its really bad you should have a heli-coil put in it. Good luck and have patience!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did this not too long ago. I took my dremel and cut a slice through head of the bolt. I was then able to take a standard screwdriver and get it out.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I have several different screw extractors. If one doesn't grab it, I use a different kind. When I had issues with the sissy bar screws I realized it pretty quick but still stripped out the hex screw.

What I did though and maybe we need to make a separate post on this for everyone so they don't have the same issues, is I tapped the holes prior to installing new screws. The real issue was that HD didn't have the screws I needed to replace so I ended up ordering them online.

I found this place where you can get polished stainless screws of any kind/size specifically for motorcycles. They are much harder than the soft chrome screws that you often get.

I also found a place to order the chrome screws, but for the money, the polished stainless were actually about the same and were a better option.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Is the head of the bolt stripped or the threads on the bolt stripped?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts