Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little jobs keep getting bigger... I am trying to remove the rear exhaust so that I can get at all the bolts of the clutch cover so that I can install the AIM. I have the rear two exhaust sections off. I have the heat shields off. I removed the two nuts holding the exhaust flange onto the motor. Should be able to just lift out the rear header, right? I can't get it out. There just seems to be not enough clearance. I keep twisting and lifting but am afraid of damaging the exhaust flange stud bolts coming out of the engine. PLEASE don't tell me that the engine has to be lowered or something. What is the trick? I tried following the manual but I must be missing something. Advice greatly appreciated! :hmm:
Time for a brewski...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Sorry I can't be of much help other than to say I have had mine off more than a dozen times and they seemed to come out with now problem.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Rabbi,

The headers don't *have* to come off. You can loosen the nuts holding the headers on, and rotate them upward and out of the way. You can either prop them up with a 2x4, or if Pondo is in town, have him hold them up and out of the way. ;)

If you insist on removing the headers, then take off the third volume and you won't have to pull on it to get it to clear the mounting studs. (It sounds like you removed the two exhaust cans, but didn't remove the third volume. I apologize if I interpret your post incorrectly.)

RJ

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Time for a brewski...

Don't you just love working on these things. I usually have bloody knuckles when I am done and need advil for my aching back. Does anyone else have pain in their lower back after all the bending over. I even use a jack and have this problem.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
mnerren said:
Time for a brewski...

Don't you just love working on these things. I usually have bloody knuckles when I am done and need advil for my aching back. Does anyone else have pain in their lower back after all the bending over. I even use a jack and have this problem.
A pair of mecanix gloves, and a pre-emptive 500mg of naprosyn and I'm good for an all day wrenching fest!!!

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
Just loosen the figure 8 clamp, spray a little penetrating oil around where they join and the third volume should slide right out. This should give ya plenty of room.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LIUNARep said:
Just loosen the figure 8 clamp, spray a little penetrating oil around where they join and the third volume should slide right out. This should give ya plenty of room.
Those things I had taken off already: the mufflers and clamps, the third volume and figure eight are comfortably lying on the garage floor. It is just simply the header pipe by itself. I probably will just work around it, as suggested, to get the cover off, but I don't understand why it won't come off. A lot of my old Navy vocabulary is starting to come out. It seems like there is not enough room. Is the CVO somehow different in this respect?

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mnerren said:
Time for a brewski...

It ain't just me, eh?

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
groovy V-Rod said:
Are you a Bike Rabbi
A Biker who happens to be Rabbi
or a Biker who's name is Abbi ???
Well, what ever it is, I'd never get to serve in the Luftwaffe

·
Banned
288 Posts
Your holyness,
We are neighbors... as I live in the Countryside area of Clearwater. My wife met you last year (@ your dentist office) she rides an 05 SE also which I have already installed an AIM clutch on it. If you need any help pm me,I would be happy to help out .

Mike & Sandy
BlackCat Motorsports:nos

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Black Cat said:
Your holyness,
We are neighbors... as I live in the Countryside area of Clearwater. My wife met you last year (@ your dentist office) she rides an 05 SE also which I have already installed an AIM clutch on it. If you need any help pm me,I would be happy to help out .

Mike & Sandy
BlackCat Motorsports:nos
Your holiness? Obviously you have the wrong guy, but I also live close by. PM sent.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bikerabbi said:
Those things I had taken off already: the mufflers and clamps, the third volume and figure eight are comfortably lying on the garage floor. It is just simply the header pipe by itself. I probably will just work around it, as suggested, to get the cover off, but I don't understand why it won't come off. A lot of my old Navy vocabulary is starting to come out. It seems like there is not enough room. Is the CVO somehow different in this respect?
Got the new larger tank installed (Hooray!) and am starting to put things back together - but - I still cannot wriggle that rear exhaust header off. If I took off the water pump I probably would have enough room to angle it out, but I want to avoid that (and the attendant mess.) I can get around it to do the AIM clutch, and then bolt it all up.
My question is: Can I leave the old exhaust gasket in place or do I have to replace it? If it has to be replaced, then I will have to take the water pump off afterall to get the header pipe off. (I recently changed the radiator fluid.)

What say yee?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
bikerabbi said:
Got the new larger tank installed (Hooray!) and am starting to put things back together - but - I still cannot wriggle that rear exhaust header off. If I took off the water pump I probably would have enough room to angle it out, but I want to avoid that (and the attendant mess.) I can get around it to do the AIM clutch, and then bolt it all up.
My question is: Can I leave the old exhaust gasket in place or do I have to replace it? If it has to be replaced, then I will have to take the water pump off afterall to get the header pipe off. (I recently changed the radiator fluid.)

What say yee?
Button it up. Make sure it doesn't leak. If it does, then you need to change it. I have taken mine off numerous times, and haven't changed that gasket yet. FWIW.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts