Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My service manual instructions are once again incorrect for my 06 D.

Has anyone removed their stock tailight for replacement? I just need to know where to get started and can probably figure out from there. Upon my initial inspection, seems like I may need to remove the rear fender, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Check the how to section a couple threads and directions/opinions there

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
You just insert a screwdriver up the hole in the liscense plate light housing...

Press gently, the light will pop out.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I've always found it easier to just take the rear fender off. This way you don't have to worry about the screw driver slipping and scratching the paint. Plus when you put the light back on you can see that the clip is properly seated so it doesn't pop out when you're riding :banghead:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Tex..your manual is wrong "again"? What was wrong before?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
How can the screwdriver scratch the paint from the inside of the fender???

When you push it through and it slips. Many people on here recommend taking the fender off. It's 9 bolts and about 10 minutes. It was just another option.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nightmare -- The last problem I had with the manual was with a headlight bulb replacement for a D. It was completely wrong!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
How can the screwdriver scratch the paint from the inside of the fender???
If you are unfamiliar with the clip and the tabs on the upper part of the light, it's pretty easy to bugger it up. I reccommend taking off the rear fender so you can see how things work from the inside. If you're familiar with it, it only takes 2 seconds to pop it out with a screwdriver, but I still perfer using an allen wrench with it's wide flat bottom to distribute pressure on the clip a bit better.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
If you decide to take the fender off just DO NOT put the fender and light back on with the wires below the light (push all wires out of the way)

I did it, and broke one of the little tabs that hold the light in on top when I tightened the fender down.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks all! I did remove the fender....the only problem I ran into was putting the base plate back on. I had this problem when first installing the plate...I think it had something to do with not having the bike on a lift.

And by the way, the HD tailight I installed did not have the blue wire on correctly. I messed with it and broke the tip -- then used the original harness to splice into the LED light and got it all working. Glad I took the fender off though as I got to see the inner workings....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts