Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max is it possible to put out a how to on the fuel recall... I really don't want the dealership touching my bike.....:notworthy :notworthy

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Ricky,
Moved this to the "How To" Section for ya!

Mike

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Ricky in the case of most campaign recalls even though the dealer is not always the best person to work on your bike , IMHO I am sure that because of the campaign and cost of the part that it is probably your only option to get the campaign satisfied. I have not seen one done yet but understand it is the fuel tank unit that gets replaced, probably less the pump and meter unit. I will see what I can find out for sure.

Max

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max said:
Ricky in the case of most campaign recalls even though the dealer is not always the best person to work on your bike , IMHO I am sure that because of the campaign and cost of the part that it is probably your only option to get the campaign satisfied. I have not seen one done yet but understand it is the fuel tank unit that gets replaced, probably less the pump and meter unit. I will see what I can find out for sure.

Max
Roger That MAX.. It's just when I spoke to the service manager about the recall he had no idea that there was a recall and said he would have to read up on how to fix the problem.. This did not comfort me at all......

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I really wish I would have taken a picture of the unit as removed from the bike.

It was impressive I must say. Seems harley decided to cram a barbed metal tube into a hard piece of plastic. If the plastic was soft, it may have worked but not the way they designed it.

The new set-up is molded in and seems to be a good design.

I will look in the parts manual and see if I can find the area and put an arrow to it and post.

The dealer really needs to perform this repair. It is free, and you can't beat that!!

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MR_KING...
I will end up letting the Harley shop do the work it just dose not give me a good feeling when I asked the service manager , What is involved in the recall and he gave me a EARNEST GOES TO CAMP LOOK....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
:rofl3:

·
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO SH*T That was his expression

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There is a repair for the loose fitting.Was around berfore Harley would recognize the problem.It involves tapping and installing a new threaded fitting.I found out about it believe it or not 1 day before the recall.It is supposed to be a [email protected]#$$&f_&^#@ to remove the tank.Supposedly takes a special tool.Contact Chopper Steve @V Mod.com

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod to do the recall the tank does not need to be removed. The entire sending unit with pump comes out the top of the tank. All that is required is to remove the seal around the gas cap and to remove the unit it does require a special tool for the neck of the tank but it can be made with a piece of 4 inch pcv pipe and a drimmel tool.

Max

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Max said:
ElrodontheV-Rod to do the recall the tank does not need to be removed. The entire sending unit with pump comes out the top of the tank. All that is required is to remove the seal around the gas cap and to remove the unit it does require a special tool for the neck of the tank but it can be made with a piece of 4 inch pcv pipe and a drimmel tool.

Max
And the entire sending unit and cap gets replaced. No mods performed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts