Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I left home this time I received the Rizoma turn signal relocators. Therefore, when I get home I would like to install this setup.

I didn't pay much attention (and can't remember now) to what was included in the packaging cuz I got it just before I left. Therefore, do I require any additional hardware for this setup? The actual install doesn't look that difficult but it would still be nice to see some steps. Finally, what's involved with the wiring for this project? Where do the wires run and how have people concealed them?

As a recap, I would find it very helpful to see:
- Hardware requirements
- Install steps
- Wiring instructions, including where to run them to keep them best concealed.

Thanks all,
Craig

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I installed them with some mini-bullet LEDs (along with a run/turn module for more running lights), and got rid of the stock turns. The brackets slid right in place on the shock mounts in place of the spacer. I am anal about wiring, so you may not follow what I did next. I bought the mating connectors that plug into the stock wiring harness from the local HD store, along with some crimp on contacts. I made "pigtails" that plugged into the stock connector with bare ends that could be spliced to the turns (I hate cutting off factory connectors in case there is a problem, I can quickly plug the factory lights back in for testing / warranty purposes). The kit comes with small plastic tubing. I glued the tubing into the wiring channel on the backside of the relocator brackets. I used some small shrink tube to protect and blacken the wires coming from the turns, routed them through the tubing, and into the bike. I hope this helps....John

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, do you have any pics?

I am interested to see how the wiring looks from the relocator to where ever you ran it - I'm assuming you ran it from the relocator to under the fender. How much of the wire is visable?

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
I don't have pictures yet. I probably won't have some until a week or two. There is about 1.5" of wire visible from the relocator to under the fender, but it is not too noticeable if its black. Make sure you leave a little slack in the loop. You can anchor the loop to underfender. I took it step farther with the wiring. I took the wires for the right turn and routed them under the top frame and to the left side of the bike. There, I made a small hole in the black tube housing the main wiring harness, and routed the new turn wires in the tube. The name of my company is Wiring.com, so when it comes to any kind of wiring, I am pretty picky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good instructions John. I am also in the wiring business; we design and manufacture wiring harnesses for automotive. It’s always nice to come across someone from the industry.

Is reattaching the shocks easy with the bike on a lift?

Mark

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Mark...thanks for reminding me. You really need a lift to get the weight off the shocks - or else the bolt may not go back in straight. I thought I was a tough guy, and tried lifting the bike myself and having a buddy get the bolt in. Needless to say, I was at Sams the next day buying a lift to finish the project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts