Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm new to my VRod (05 VRSCA) but have been around custom bikes, harleys, and sportbikes for years. I'm impressed with my VRod's nearly stock performance for now (stock plus pc3, V&H pipes, open airbox that is). However I really like the look of a costom 5 3/4" or similar headlight instead of the stock unit. See pic below for an example of what I'd like to switch to. Can someone help me figure out how to mount a custom, or i there's a particular light that would work with my stock mount? I assume a custom mount would be needed unless there is a side mount light that could work? Any input would be appreciated...:)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Use the DX headlight bracket. See my White AW in the bike of the month feature. 30 bucks? something like that. Cheap! Joe

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
This is what I made for my first VRod. The headlight is a Cobra II which I got off of ebay for @ $110 shipped.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice, that's like what I'm looking for. Maybe I can make something like that... I've had no luck finding anything like that on eBay. Don't guess you still have it & want to sell do you?:notworth:

This is what I made for my first VRod. The headlight is a Cobra II which I got off of ebay for @ $110 shipped.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I can easily make another. I think I've made different versions for about 5 forum members now. Look in my gallery. The chromed one with the flying V is very pricey though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to MegaZ for the quality & affordable mount. All the women want to ride the bike now that it's got a great looking headlight...:)

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
yep...PM sent

·
Registered
125 Posts
Question about the headlight mount...

I want to go with a 7" diameter light on mine (it will fill out the bat wing I've got a whole lot better...

Think this lamp would be OK on your mount?

If so...sign me up my friend!

King Cobra headlight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-KING-COBRA-HEADLIGHT-7-x-9-HARLEY-CHOPPER-BOBBER-FATBOY-SOFTAIL-RIGID/360669940488?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D8438721000717077894%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D360669940488%26

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I think you will need a wider bracket for that larger headlight. The 4" will work, though. Look in my gallery and you will see fork plates that completely close off the opening, but if you ever want to use a windshield, I wouldn't close it completely.

·
Registered
125 Posts
MagaZ.... I'm doing the relo so that I can use a bob dron fairing... So yes, I'll need to have space for the quick release mounts.

Having a heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of mount to use and would rather not fab (just don't have the right tools).

Here's the fairing and a 7" light on.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
If you're using a fairing, the width of the plate won't matter since it will be hidden. But the issue will be where to drill the hole for the headlight bracket for proper positioning within the fairing. I would suggest sending you a plate that is undrilled so you can determine the position, or take it to a machine shop and have it slotted for variable positioning.

The headlight in that pic....How long is it and is it mounted recessed into the forks? Your King Cobra is 9" long and may stick out so far it may not look "right".

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
should...as long as forks and trees are the same, and I think they are. My PC guy will coat it for $15

·
Registered
232 Posts
That is one thing I've noticed in the Harley community so far. If you don't know the slightest bit about customizing and just want a part to bolt on you will be raped in price. I'm working on a custom headlight right now that the company wanted $230 just for the mounting bracket. I have a local fabricator making it for $20 and will have it powdercoated for about $15.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts