Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have described how, but I never did find actual pics. Here is what I did. Pic's are pretty self explanatory (sp), before, during and after shots. All done on a bench grinder. The areas ground are the 1. lower inner rear corners, 2. the inner lower lip along its entire length and 3. the inner lower lip of the seperate small bracket that mounts the upper rear shock bolt and the saddle bag bracket bolt. The lower belt guard I purchased from a member and it was already pre trimmed, but I am going to shave it down a little more- remove the last little bit of lip where the black line is. Grinder or dremel be gentle with this. Hope this helps. Any questions shoot me a PM. the remainder of the pics to follow.

Attachments

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part two

The rest of the Pic's

Attachments

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple more

Areas highlighted look close.

Attachments

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How the tires stack up

200 metz vs 180 dunlop
stock metz front vs stock dunlop front

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Raebear looks like you had some fun the day before new tire day.Very nice.Good luck with your mod.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the struts (1st pic) that the actual saddlebag mount-(2nd Pic), mounts too. All 02-06 bikes have these. Unless specifically removed which some have done. The small pieces and the bolts pictured above are actually part of the saddlebag mounting kit, nothing on the second pic needs modified.
I run the leather bags, see gallery, I am not sure if the actual mounts are the same. It is mainly the struts and the bottom chrome belt guard that need modding.

Attachments

·
Nosferatu
241 Posts
raebear said:
These are the struts (1st pic) that the actual saddlebag mount-(2nd Pic), mounts too. All 02-06 bikes have these. Unless specifically removed which some have done. The small pieces and the bolts pictured above are actually part of the saddlebag mounting kit, nothing on the second pic needs modified.
I run the leather bags, see gallery, I am not sure if the actual mounts are the same. It is mainly the struts and the bottom chrome belt guard that need modding.
Raebear
To remove the brackets from the bike altogether, do you need to remove the fender? Or can you get to it from underneath with the tire removed?
:bash:

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pm sent, fender, inner fender and D/A and upper shock bolts.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
I did some grinding on mine when I added the 200, but found when I have my bags on (I have Boss Bags) it pulls the supports toward the tire and rubs a bit. Luckily the Metz tires seem to have a pretty thick edge. Thanks for putting this guide together--I'll be doing more grinding when I install my TrickTank.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have the hard vinyl covered bags and want to do a 200 tire but want to keep the option to have bags when I go on longer trips requiring storage. Looks good and I appreciate the instructions...
Ride Safe

·
Registered F'n User
420 Posts
Thanks for the pics - just to clarify:

I have a 04 VRSCB, never had saddlebags, never will - does my bike have these brackets anyway, from stock?

I'm going to a 200 Metz within the next month or two. Bringing it to a dealership to have new front and rear Metzs put on (they have to check a noisy 5th gear, so I'm having it done at same time). Is it correct that I only need remove the lower belt guard, and grind down/remove the brackets, and I'm all good?

Would it be easiest to just tell the dealership tech to remove those brackets, or should I tell him to grind them down?

Thanks

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pm sent

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an update- all was well until I put the actual bags on and loaded up for a trip. Got some rubbing on the left side, might have been less had I cranked down the shocks,I did not notice till the trip was over. It still was not bad... but was there. Easily fixable.... when next I remove the tire.... not for a while.
1. grind the lower edge of the supports more, to very nearly flush
2. on the upper shock bolts, where the cut out for the bolt is, grind that flush for the entire length of the cut out plus a little, countersink the hole and use coresponding bolt
3. Grind the bolt under the D/A a little to shorten it up.

That should ensure no rubbing.

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
200 metzeler rear tire and bags off 03 not needed anymore

I did all these steps to mount my 200 size rear tire and fit the saddle bag mounts. I just made a trike and have no use for all the rear tire parts. I,m gonna list them in the proper section as for sale. all the necessary grinding has been done on the bolts that hold the front of saddle bag fender support. look if your interested in 200 rear tire and bags. curley thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts