Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the bike out today and found that the repositioning of the lowers cured the handling problems I had been having with increased wind buffeting, due to the lowers being down too far, raked to far back at the top and not canted back enough at the outside edge. The Memphis Shades bracket is not designed for a bike with the fork rake of the V-Rod. The bottom was too far forward. In addition the signal lights limited the backward cant of the outside (too flat to the wind). Daniii had removed his turn signals and he could cant his lowers back more, and claimed to not have noticed any difference in handling. However, unless I moved the signals I was stuck. By repositioning the arms to the shield brackets I can adjust the rake forward and back, and get slightly more back wards cant to the outside edge. They act less like air brakes now. Adjustment seems perfect as pictured.

I am totally happy with the look and the performance, and would recommend this setup to anyone who wants to retain his turn signals on the windshield mounting brackets, who doesn't care if the lowers are easily removable, or who does not want to drill his shield and attach them directly to it as Daniii has.

In addition, the lowers look more like they belong with the shield now.

Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michel: Yes, mounted on the brackets for the windshield they both look and work better than using thier own brackets. I ride with the shield 100% of the time though, and if I didn,t it would be a drag taking them on and off.

Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daniii: Your way works too, but in my opinion mine is simpler and you don't have to drill holes in the shield. However if you take your shield on and off a lot, your way is the only way to go. The wires are too short to easily take off the turn signal mounts. You have to remove and replace the cable ties each time. However, I doubt that you ever take it off anymore.

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Fred - actually, I take it off when it goes in for service, and whenever I trail it. Which I will be doing on two trips to Fla this winter!! Either is better than the supplied fork brackets, which just aren't very pretty. And the bike looks silly with just the lowers on.

I also have all that electronics mounted to the shield, so thats another reason to take em off. At Sturgis, I locked the shield in the truck at night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all the advise. I am going to try a windvest. They said if I don't like it I can return it. They actually advise I use an 18" (I didn't see it on there website but apparently they have one). I am 5"7'.

Thanks everyone for your advise. I will keep you posted on how it works.

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts